(Most-Wanted) Features

Yes, totally agree. In the US, we have also an API that returns the status for each bank, so we wanted to add this information just under the bank’s name.

1 Like

I don’t know where do you get this sync times but it doesn’t make any sense as some of my account’s data is out of sync from week and no help from support.

The syncs are from the last successful one. :slight_smile:

I would reach out again to support if things are out of sync, we can chase Plaid again.

Yu thats what I am saying that even though dates suggest they just synced yesterday or today, balances and transactions are not in sync for almost week. Hope it will be fixed.

Do you read the mind or what?? Was just about to give a suggestion for adding a quick link to Community forum in the setting and you did it. Thanks…

2 Likes

This has been there for some users, we just decided to enable it for all US/CA. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi, I’ve just started using Emma less than 2 weeks ago and I’m loving it. However, there are a few things that I think would improve the experience:
1- Sum of budgets, as at the moment the total budget and the categories budget are not linked, so you have to calculate manually how much of that total budget you have reached in your categories.
2- Show category and hashtags for transactions in the account view. This will ease the validation that transactions are categorised as you’d expect.
3- Set category and hashtag in one go. I’m currently using the hashtags as some sort of sub-category (Eating out: #takeaway, #restaurant, #snack) and would like to set both at the same time.
4- Clone transactions in manual accounts. For loans and savings accounts, you’d normally have a single transaction a month that you want to have the same category and hashtags, just altering the date and
maybe the amount. This will make the maintenance of manual accounts easier.
5- Allow to navigate to previous/later month by swiping left/right within a category in the analytics view. This will help understand where the difference in expenditure was from month to month.
6- Edit multiple transactions in one go. I guess this is mostly applicable for when you’ve just joined, as you’d like to set a number of transactions to the same category/hashtag.
7- Mark transaction as bank fee. It seems the app is not picking up certain expenses as bank fees.
8- It might be complicated, but I wonder whether have you given any thoughts to family support.

• I thought date modification support was coming as per your messages some time ago. ETA? It is a must item as currently automation is messing the budget period.

• App is automated in so many ways but it miss a simple thing when subscription is paid via different payment method…there should be some way to assign item as a particular subscription.

• In What did I spend search by merchant, it misses a merchant if it is from Manual account, it would be great if you add support for that.

We have built the correction dates internally and just have to find the time to review it.

For subscriptions, we are planning a V2, so you can make whatever edit you need/want. We want to make the subscriptions tracker as flexible as possible.

Yes, merchants use a different logic at this point, so we expect it not to show up; but can think about this. :grin:

1 Like

When is editing pending transactions coming? 3 days down the line I wont remember the name of that store I visited once that cleared my account in the wrong name

This is a challenging one, which we have put on the side for a bit. We don’t have an ETA yet. :grin:

Can I ask why it’s challenging? Do you not store the data my bank sends you?

Surely it’s as simple as allowing the fields you already have, to be edited?

Can you give me some insight into your systems and how they work? I’m really curious as to how they’re built rn .

Main issue here is that pending transactions change reference after settling (sometimes date and amount as well), so unless we implement a really sophisticated system, we might have a high chance of losing all your edits.

The system would need to match the edited pending with the incoming settled, that’s the difficult part.

1 Like

Is it the issue with transaction ID changing while going from pending to clear? Two suggestions,

1. How about enabling the notes and receipt for this pending transaction.
  2. Allowing a vault to store receipts and notes to it. Once transaction clear we can assign that expenses with the vault item.

The transactions change completely, so we just need to implement a really smart system with a low error rate. Like you lose 1 edit out of 10.

How about Emma Transaction ID assign to every transaction. May be easier to reassign the transaction by that.

We can use a bit of machine learning to fix this, but we haven’t built the functionality yet. In US & Canada, we have this already built in by our provider, but haven’t shipped it yet. We wanted to test it further.

1 Like

How about at least opening up the upload receipt to files and not only photos, by that way we can store the scanned receipt on our repository and upload once the transaction confirmed. Now the issue is if I take a picture it upload all to my google photos and I have more mess to clear.

Do you not have some form of ID attached to them to, that you assign them? Like a 64 bit integer or similar

Just assign it based on that as opposed to using their references

I can’t believe that you’re thinking this requires a complex solution when at the max it requires creating another database column and then populating it :thinking: and perhaps another table to assign edited data to (which I presume you have, which means all you actually need is a foreign key)

Yes @Recchan, at Emma everyone knows basic SQL concepts and obviously we already assign own unique ids to everything. :joy:

This is a complex problem because it’s about automated transaction “reconciliation”, not merely keeping track of edits.

Plaid, the leading banking API provider we use in US and Canada, with an engineering team of hundreds of people in silicon valley, has only recently developed a feature that may solve this problem.

I recommend you check out the article below to learn more about the kind of work it takes to make something that looks stupidly simple, yet behind the curtains it took months of trial and error of Machine Learning algorithms to make it work.

We are checking with the real data we have if the Plaid solution is actually reliable for every single bank or just marketing BS, because we really care about not losing your transaction edits and attachments.

If this proves to be good we can roll out editing of pending transactions at least for Plaid and try to bring it to every other bank. We agree it’s a really good feature.

:rocket: If you’re an engineer reading this and thinking you have what it takes to solve these kind of problems, I’d love to chat: antonio @ emma-app :man_technologist: :woman_technologist:

2 Likes