What will you never give up to save money?

What’s something you’ll never give up in order to save money??

I think mine would be travel… :desert_island::luggage::airplane:

1 Like

I think mine would be eating.

2 Likes

All joking aside, takeaway coffee probably.

1 Like

1 Like

I would probably not gonna give up planning outdoor hikes :hiking_boot:, and renting campgrounds. :camping:

2 Likes

Travel, for sure.

1 Like

My better half is starting to see how my trying to intro them to camping wasn’t such a bad thing for the summer… travel to fresh air it is, but leaving the passports at home for now.

At least there will be coffee around!

1 Like

Hikes are free… camping is pretty stinking cheap around here (typically $12/night) or sometimes we even “boondock” from the SUV and pay nothing. Love those sorts of things vs. say Disneyland (eeep!). I go on at least two day-long hikes per month, on alternating weekends. Went biking last weekend, time for another hike this weekend. Almost warm enough to break out the kayaks… I love “paid for” toys that cost nearly nothing to go use (just gas to get there).

Hike from two weekends ago:

5 Likes

@Jason this is amazing! I would love to hear more about this.

Camping here is also pretty cheap, most places being around $25-27 a night with electric hookup (I avoid using as I don’t need it mostly). I can’t wait for it all to open while he insists he is ok with “1 or 2 nights” my better half really isn’t so I’ll go with friends less frequently.

On my next trip to the US at the end of this year, I would hope to convince friends to go camping but I think this is not going to happen! :joy:

1 Like

What’s this “electric hookup” business? Just kidding. We bring our own battery and an inverter to power a few things and recharge the flashlights, lanterns, and cell phones. There is no cell phone signal most of the places we camp, so cell phones are really only useful for taking pictures and offline maps/trails. Most places we camp when there is a fee only have services like a restroom and running non-potable water, which is why they’re so cheap.

Also, at least once (but usually twice) a year we go “dry camping” without any services for free in the National Forests. We bring in our own potable water in refillable jugs from home, and use the river to collect water for washing dishes and cat baths for ourselves. We’ve a portable loo that is basically a 5-gallon bucket with a bag inside it and a toilet seat on top. When we get done we dig a hole, dump the contents once a day.

We scavenge for firewood on the way to and from the campsite each day. Depending on how much we cook on the campfire vs. propane is really our only cost of dry camping. Some mornings we just want to get a quick breakfast going on the propane stove and skip building a fire. A Coleman 2-pack 16.4oz propane bottle for $25 will easily last us all year for camping, and typically we will only use one bottle and have the second bottle for the next year.

For (solo) boondocking in my SUV, I’ve one of these small air mattresses to sleep on plus a sleeping bag that is sized properly for the weather. The rest of my camping kit is the same as when I tent camp, and it all just fits in a small trunk I keep in the back of my SUV all the time anyway. I just bring plenty of easy-to-make meals all baggied up ahead of time in a small ice chest to feed myself through a 2 or 3-day weekend.

Again, I love “paid for” toys and gear. After the initial investment, the consumables for camping or day drips are next to nothing. You have to eat no matter what, be it at home, hiking, or camping, so that cost doesn’t change. The only reason I don’t camp more is just not finding enough free weekends.

If you’re coming back to the US to camp, definitely check out the Lava Beds National Monument at the furthest north end of California. $12/night to camp with nice facilities, and other than the initial entrance fee to the NM ($25?) the rest is all free. I could easily camp there a week each summer and hike the bluffs and volcanic hills early in the morning, and then explore the dozens of lava tube caves during the heat of the day (they’re nice and cool).

Nice setup. I’m used to boat life so a lot of they doesn’t sound much different.

My next trip to the US in November I am staying in hotels only but I’ll think of the National Parks for next year :slight_smile:

What part of the US are you in @Jason?

Also, I’ve only been camping in New Zealand and Scotland - neither are known for their proximity to dangerous animals. How dangerous is it to camp in the US in regards to animals?

I’m definitely not an experienced hiker but the first time I properly went camping was in Chile and I kid you not, we saw a wild puma! It was maybe like 50m away? It wasn’t until a few hours later that I actually thought about how dangerous that could have been :sweat_smile:

Did you not freak out?

Tbh it looked pretty pre-occupied so I didn’t really think about it - I guess if it had started running towards me I would have :poop::poop: myself

1 Like