Transaction Search

I like being able to search my transactions in Emma. However, the current search features feel a bit disjointed and (perhaps simply because they are disjointed) somewhat limited to me. Here is some feedback:

There seem to be two separate search facilities

1. Tag and merchant search (accessed from “what did I spend” card on the Feed). Unfortunately this only provides a subset of merchants rather than a complete list (and its not clear what makes the cut), and I assume also only a subset of tags (but not sure about this). However on the plus side you can limit the search to specific periods in time.
  2. A keyword search accessed from the Accounts tab. However, this does not allow limiting search to time periods of interest.

Perhaps it would be better if you unify to a single search facility which combines the features of your two existing search options, even if there are multiple entry points to the same facility. I would also add I don’t find the entry point to the keyword search particularly intuitive (accounts tab). Until recently, I have forgotten it’s there on at least a couple of occasions.

2 Likes

Yes, I completely agree on this.

The long term plan is to remove What Did I Spend and do a 5-10x improvement on Search in Accounts. At this point, the main issue we are having with the latter is that people don’t notice it. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@edoardomoreni it would be great to have a custom search where user will be able to select:

1. from/to dates
  2. certain categories
  3. certain tags
  4. certain merchants
  5. certain accounts
  6. god knows what else

You can do smth like this in Mondeydashboard in web, but who wants to use web if there’s Emma :slight_smile:

This can be another Pro feature.

PS. how about custom period for the Analytics screen? E.g. I want to see totals since Jan 1 split by cats/merchans.

2 Likes

I think more people would notice search if it was always there, no matter which screen you’re on. Search is useful in a variety of situations, so you could be on any screen and need it.

As a new user, I’m not sure I’d think to have to go to the accounts tab to find search. There’s no clear logical connection between search and accounts, anymore than analytics and search, or the what did I spend card (which has the word search in it, but isn’t search?!?).

I think it’s just confusing. There’s room to put it at the top left of every tab, except the more tab.

1 Like

We can make it free and I think it’s fundamental.

At first we also wanted to do a bit of language processing to like “Give me all the transactions in December for Groceries”. This is doable too and we’ll make it done; we just need to prioritise a few things.

I agree it’s hidden and maybe at first the thought was “you are searching your accounts”?

We could even place it in Feed, on the top right corner. I am just not sure if it’s that important to be the first feature you see?

I think a really well fleshed out search is more useful than you think. If you think about the analytics tab is basically a search of transactions across that payday period, with some summary figures and calculations added to the mix.

If you could include these summaries & calculations in a search result, you effectively have a custom analytics mode, where you can filter by a range of different fields. Add in saved searches, and you can have easy access to a review of your finances over the last 3 months, year, or whatever you choose.

Commonly used searches could be provided as examples, e.g. search all transactions above x value, would highlight your biggest spends. This could help people see the benefit of searches and understand why it’s useful.

5 Likes

Totally agree.

We are huge fans of the Monzo ones. That is really good.

We shipped it in January really quickly, but we have plans to iterate and build rules on top.

2 Likes

Hey guys,

we are finally building this and it would be great to hear feedback/ideas - we want to make it the most powerful out there. :wink:

3 Likes

My main feedback remains the same as opening post.

But on top of this I’ve just noticed the current search does not search your details field - which seems to be where you put bank transfer references. This field should be included in what is searched.

1 Like

A spotlight search for Emma transactions would be awesome !

This is coming:

2 Likes

Looks awesome :wink: as a suggestion could we have a little Emma advocate who could possibly create a thread to put those posts on here :wink:

Looks good.

It’s not intuitively obvious to me what some of the modifier/filter icons (I assume that’s what they are) above the keyboard represent, but maybe it becomes obvious upon first use.

1 Like

Categories, Merchants, Tags, £< and £>, Has Receipts + Calendar.

1 Like

I haven’t even found this feature yet! Am I being very dim?

I don’t think it’s been released yet. My comment was based on Twitter screenshots which I think reflects something that’s being worked on

3 Likes

Yup, we are testing - everything is ready.

How about ability to filter by account and/or account provider?

1 Like

This is super nice and definitely coming. :wink:

1 Like