(Most-Wanted) Features

Treating personal finance like business bookkeeping. Full income statement (income and expenses, remaining “profit” as surplus or savings) with a few different views (YTD, quarterly, monthly). Full balance sheet of assets and liabilities (calculation of current net worth).

2 Likes

Hey @Yoni - some really good suggestions there!

Being able to see your net worth in the app is something that’s on our to-do list :raised_hands:

Would you find it useful to see this info on the monthly reports or somewhere more permanent?

Widgets for iOS 14!

2 Likes

Well, why not Emma for Biz?

Hey @rebekah - some ongoing, updated view on net-worth would definitely be helpful. Monthly reporting seems more than sufficient, I doubt people are meaningfully tracking this metric more frequently than monthly. Same goes with my feedback on the income statement, counting the cumulative view on income vs. expenses. It sounds like this might be something your team is already working on as part of rolling budgets or something?

Emma for Biz is interesting. But the general point I’m trying to make is that for business bookkeeping, you’re constantly counting all sources of income, operating margin, expenses, down to profits. It would be helpful to treat household income in the same way… where you start to build an ongoing view of income vs. expenses. Emma already does this with monthly reports, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to look at a cumulative YTD, quarterly, or full year view of this data. That would help people (me?) understand if over time I’m earning more than I’m spending…

Hey @Yoni

I think I see what you mean - almost like the debt-to-income ratio that some people calculate?

So something along the lines of “in 2020 so far you’ve earned £20k and you’ve spent £8K of that on expenses, so your debt-to-income ratio is 40%”

Definitely something for us to think about anyway :slight_smile:

Yeah, something like that…
I’m over simplifying, but something like…

You received $100,000 in income
You had $60,000 in expenses
You put aside $10,000 in investments
You have $30,000 left in savings

Your top 5 expense categories were
Housing - $20,000
Groceries - $15,000
Eating out - $10,000
Shopping - $5,000
Entertainment - $4,000
Other - $6,000

3 Likes

I have multiple accounts and a joint account with my wife. I’d like to be able to get notifications when cash is withdrawn from a machine or money is transferred so that I can categorise it straight away. E.g if she goes out with her sister for dinner and her sister pays but my wife sends her the money I can jump on the app and add it as eating out instead of looking at the end of the week and asking what it was for. There’s always money being transferred in and out between our families so it would be easier to do it straight away than have to do a bunch at the same time, muddling up what is what. :grin:

1 Like

Hey @Twiglet91

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! :wave:

Unfortunately, we don’t support notifications for when money is withdrawn or transferred!

I love this idea. It could even be an option in the more tab where you can generate a breakdown for the week, month or year (or all together) whenever you feel like it

1 Like

Hi,

I might have missed a functionality but is there a way to manage which transactions are excluded from committed spending but are still subscriptions? I have situations where I have credit cards that are used for loans and others that are used as normal credit cards.

If I go into the committed spending screen then I see some credit card payments excluded from analytics because don’t want to double up on payments (Which is a really handy feature) but sometimes it doesn’t pick up correctly that this credit card is a loan (hence don’t want it to be excluded) and this credit card is a normal account (and so should be excluded).

Similarly, I have current accounts that I have standing orders to, which are used for different reasons. Some for savings (so would not want that to be excluded so that I can see that my committed spending Including saving, expenditure etc is X amount. But again there’s some current accounts, because they have deals like cash back etc that are used to pay bills etc so don’t want those standing orders to appear there as it’ll just skew the numbers.

I suppose I could mark those transactions for both situations (credit card and current accounts) as not subscriptions but they are really subscriptions aren’t they?

Thanks

Hey @Sidharthnayyar :wave:

Welcome to the Emma Community!

A couple of points

Could you explain what you mean by this?

Do you consider your savings part of your budget? In Emma, savings are not considered spending so we usually recommend you don’t include them in your budget. For example, if you earn £100 a month and want to save £20, your total budget, we recommend, should be £80.

I think I understand what you mean (but not 100% sure)

If you use excluded + repeating toggles on a past version of the transaction the future prediction will show up in your subscriptions but will not contribute to total committed spend amount for budget period. It will show in the committed spending list but as a greyed out entry. I like this behaviour personally (greyed out in committed list without contributing to total) and I think does what you are asking.

Does that get at what you were asking?

Hi please add pie charts to week in review, month and year in review.

Hey @devalias welcome to the Emma community :wave:

You can introduce yourself here if you like :point_down:
https://community.emma-app.com/t/introduce-yourself

And thanks for your suggestion! Are you thinking the pie charts would show each of the spending categories? For example, 50% spent on bills, 10% eating out, 10% shopping, etc?

Hi, yes. This would show a quick visual of where spending has happened, then if you click on the slice, it would list the expenses.

1 Like

Love this idea :raised_hands: Will mention it to the rest of the team and see what we can do!

I’ve just updated the OP with all of the most wanted features requested here!

Have I missed any? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Rather than a list of ideas it would be more interesting to see which are most popular.

Why not add the ability to vote to on idea threads in the Feedback & Ideas section, such as in the equivalent section of the Monzo community

That way the most popular ideas among community users will become easily apparent