Emma Pro Feedback

How about data import?

I was categorising some spend today and thinking how much easier it would be to do it all in Excel on a nice big screen :joy:

How about importing an updated database file back into Emma?

I am open for this.

The main challenge is in the format.

Like Emma understands X, Y, Z, so people need to import in X, Y, Z.

If they try to do Z, Y, X, it won’t work. I can see lots of friction and angry people. :wink:

I’ve been looking at the xlsx again and you’ve kept the structure nice and simple.

Couldn’t you just lock the header row and transaction ID column?

The transaction ID now makes it very easy to check that the import file matches the original export.

I think the bigger task would be some kind of visual preview of the changes in the app…

How do you import accounts? Overdrafts? Balances? :stuck_out_tongue:

Match internal transactions…and so on…

I suppose I was thinking more about metadata, like tags, categories, notes, references. Just a way to update transaction metadata.

Accounts, transaction amounts, overdrafts, would have to be untouched.

1 Like

Quite a few of my dummy accounts are savings accounts, which have one of my “real” accounts as the nominated account or just the account I always transfer to savings from.

Being able to tell Emma this info and automatically add dummy transactions to the dummy account would be amazing…

Difficult, maybe

2 Likes

I think in this case manual input of transactions might be easier and this is something we want to add in. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe with an option to use the data from an existing transaction in the app? That would be pretty cool.

It would save you typing in a number that’s already in the app

2 Likes

Yeah, that can be done too.

We are particularly happy with Pro and I think there is room for improvement.

At this point, we are looking for next features to add in the next 3-6 months + better existing ones.

Hi, I’ve just started using the app and Pro features after bouncing between different budget management solutions. I like the app, I think compared to other UK solutions I have used (Yolt, Money Dashboard) it offers comparable features and I think the app is more polished than those. Key features I would be keen to see mirror the above I think:

Pro features feedback

Custom icons for categories;
The ability to set a custom budget amount per category (not limited to multiples of 5);
Ability to customise the dashboard tiles;
Ability to see a planned bank balance in more detail based on recurring transactions so you can plan ahead;
Mac app/ web app/ported iOS app for desktop browsing.

Standard app feedback

I’m not sure I like the little quotes on the dashboard. I get the idea to make the app more approachable and maybe some people like them, I just find them a bit too saccharine for my tastes.

It’s a great app though and like the effort gone into it! I’ll continue subscribing for now as I think you are clearly driven to improve it further!

2 Likes

I really, REALLY want to justify paying for Pro to myself because I think you do a great job with Emma :raised_hands:t2: I love how much you listen to your customers :hugs: and I’d really like to support the continued development. BUT, unfortuantely, I just can’t bring myself to spend a fiver a month on it - £60 a year is a lot of money, especially for an app that’s meant to reduce your costs. I’m not convinced that YNBAB, Spendee, Bankin and Squirrel are your real competitors - if you look across various fintech and finance forums the names that crop up time and time again when it comes to account aggregators are Yolt, Money Dashboard and Emma, with Moneyhub being mentioned on occasion too. Yolt and Money Dashboard are free, and Moneyhub is substantially cheaper. It feels like you’ve priced yourself vs other paid-for offerings, rather than looked across whole-of-market to see where your features stack up vs. the entire continuum of free and paid-for, which would arguably have been a better way to assess the value of your product. All that said, as I say, I do love Emma and appreciate all the work you do on it and the customer engagement you have - hopefully you find this feedback constructive and useful :kissing_heart:

4 Likes

Please add a manual transaction feature. I purchased Emma Pro under the assumption that having “manual accounts” will provide me with this feature. It’ll be a huge selling point for Emma Pro as well as many of your competitors don’t do this, or do so in much less finesse than you have created with your app. But adding a manual transaction feature really caters to a wider range of people, especially those who have bank accounts internationally as well as within the UK.

Can you change this to the same gold as the icon to make it all match up a bit better.

1 Like

That’s a nice suggestion.

I am not sure there is a way to change it dynamically, but we can check this.

I use Emma Pro to track and analyze my spending over time as spending buckets (categories).

The only reason I am paying for the Pro is to be able to add custom categories, as the current categories are very limited. To me, this should be a free feature, but I am comfortable paying for it for now.

A few categories I have added are “Work Lunch”, “Flights”, “Subscriptions”.

Two additions I would like to see are:

• The ability to see the categories named in the transaction list (see my mock-up below).
  • The streamlining of the number of clicks it takes to edit the category of a transaction. It currently takes 6 clicks, which is very tedious when changing several transactions. I suggest you integrate the ability to swipe each transaction to directly edit the category, versus a click to see the transaction detail (see my mock-up below). One swipe to enter the edit category list, and one click to change the category, immediately returning you to transaction list. Only ask me about editing similar transactions if they exist, there is no need to have a screen asking me to “Apply edit to 1 transaction” or the “Perfect let’s go back” screen, as clicking through these screens is such a waste of time.

6 Likes

In reference to post above, wasn’t allow to post two images as a first post.

7 Likes

This is a must!! Love the simplicity.

Love both these ideas. I frequently change categories, so this would make things much quicker and easier.

Hey Lorenz,

It’s SO nice and refreshing to see feedback in the form of a mockup :tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada: definitely a first for us!

This feedback is really great and I will send this over to the team.

Keep it coming :rocket:

1 Like