Ask your beginners questions here 🚀

A post was merged into an existing topic: Start Investing With Emma

My pay day tends to vary by a few days each month. I should get paid on the last Friday of the month that falls before the 25th.

Sometimes this means I get paid on the 25th, or maybe the 24th or 23rd for example.

When looking at the chart that displays monthly Income vs Outgoings, the mont range seems fixed to show data between 25th of last month to the 25th of this month. Many times this means I see the income containing 2 paydays. This is not helping me to get a true sense of my income vs outgoings for my pay period, because its incluiding more than one pay. It makes it harder for me to simply see over time, if I am earning more than I am spending.

I would have thought Emma would atleast let me see, pay day to pay day, have I earned more than I have spent this period?

Am I doing something wrong? Would appreciate any input.

Sounds to me like your paid monthly, so if you have it as first to last day of the month, you’ll see on paypacket per month and your outgoings for the month. If your income fluctuates that might not be ideal though

For me Emma seems to adapt to my payday - at least it has done the last couple of times I got paid on a non-typical day.

My payday is usually on 26th, so my budget cycle is usually 26 to 25. But sometimes I get paid slightly earlier (e.g. if 26 is on weekends or bank holiday) and Emma seems to auto-adapt the cycle accordingly. For example in June my payday landed on 22 and Emma auto-adapted the budget cycle to 22 June to 25 July.

If it’s not doing something similar for you, it might be worth contacting support.

1 Like

Hi all, I’ve just signed up to Emma and I’m trying to get my head around the features. I appreciate this may be a very obvious question, so if there’s a good how-to guide please point me there!

I have two current accounts with the same bank: Account 1 is where my salary is paid, and Account 2 my husband and I transfer in money to pay for housing, bills etc. Account 2 often has a lot of internal transfers as we move money from it into shared savings pots. At the moment trying to set a budget is proving difficult as my income is obviously less than the outgoings. What’s the most sensible way to set my accounts up in the app so that I can set a budget for my personal account, but ignore the joint account? Can I just exclude Account 2 entirely from Emma’s analysis, or would it be sensible to just remove that account from the app?

Second question: I installed the app mainly to give me a better breakdown of where my money’s going so I can identify areas to cut back and help me increase my savings. I’d like to do this across both my current account and my credit card, which I use for day to day spending and pay off in full at the end of the month. How do I do that?

Hey Liz :wave:

Welcome to Emma!

In regards to your first point, there’s two ways you can manage this. If you’d like to track Account 2 separately from Account 1, use the Spaces feature. Learn more about Spaces here.

Alternatively, if you don’t want to track this account at all, hide the account so it doesn’t count towards your analytics. Learn more about hiding accounts here.

In regards to your second point, all you’ll need to is connect both your current account and your credit card to Emma. On the Feed tab, you should see at the top a field called Everyday. The balance that it shows here is your current accounts minus your credit card. If this balance is negative, it could mean that your current accounts are in overdraft or you’ve spent more on your credit card than you have in your current account.

Your analytics and budgets will apply to all your accounts connected in Emma, this includes your credit card (unless the account has been moved to another Space using the Spaces feature).

I hope that helps! If you have any further questions, let us know.

Hi, I have savings with N S+ I and Fidelity Investments but neither are showing.
How can I add my saving to my account?

Hey @KarenW, NS&I and Fidelity don’t support Open banking so we’re unable to connect with them. However, it is possible to use offline accounts to manually add accounts that you can’t connect. Please see here for more info: Create offline accounts | Emma App

Afternoon,

With the ‘Real Estate’ section, I’ve put the value of our house there but should it actually be the equity we have in the house (house value - mortgage value)?

Hey @TanyaMH.

You could do it the way you’ve currently got it and put the house value minus the mortgage value.

For me personally, I’ve added my current house price in the Real Estate section, then added my current Mortage value in the loans section.

This means as I pay off my mortgage I can update that value and as my house price (hopefully) increases, I can update that figure separately and then Emma will calculate this into my overall Net Worth.

You can keep them separate like this if it works better for you too! :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s great, I’ll do that - thank you

1 Like

Hello! I really love Emma, thank you for all your hard work! I have a question, I like to monitor the feature Income vs Spent, I was wondering how can I keep track of the gap between spent and income (savings) over time. I could do it via budgeting but I haven’t yet found my ideal monthly total budget.
Is it a premium feature?

Hey @Sara_alaska,

You can already see the difference between Income and Spending in your Analytics section.

If you go to the Feed tab, scroll down and tap on Analytics (this period or this month), you will Summary above the graph which is the difference (or gap) between your income and spending.

If you then select the dates at the top you can adjust this so you can view your Analytics for different periods. The Summary will then show you the difference between income and spending for that whole period :slightly_smiling_face:

Why are expenses in categories that I do not have in my budget taking money out of my budget (under “unbudgeted spend”)? Is it possible to turn this off? I do not want my budget to encompass all of the money that I have coming in every month, only my discretionary spending. I also don’t want to keep having to mark expenses as “excluded” to stop them appearing in my budget.

Hey @jaughndis,

thanks for posting. I am not sure if I understand your query, but “unbudgeted spend” just indicates categories that don’t have a budget. They are not counted in your budgets.

Here we go, here you will see what I mean. For this budget period (which has just begun) I have set five categories in my budget and have not spent anything out of them yet. But this “unbudgeted spend” (for “housing”, a category I do not have in my budget), is showing as having been deducted from my budget total. The only way I can stop this from happening is to individually flag this (and every other expense which might appear there) as “excluded”, which is a right royal pain.

The unbudgeted spend is just indicating the categories with no budget. :slight_smile:

It might look the same as “Spending” now, but that’s just because there are transactions only in “Housing”, but they don’t usually match.

But it’s cleary showing as having come out of my budget, which I don’t want. Is there any way to stop this from happening? I only want my budget to show deductions from the categories I have set, not from ones that I haven’t!

This is not happening.

When setting budgets in Emma, we ask you to set a Total budget and Category budgets. The unbudgeted spend figure just shows the categories that have no budgets set in Emma and has no meaning / doesn’t count towards the analytics.

The number at the top of the screen is your total budget which counts all your spending and can include some or no category budgets.