Amex supplementary cardmember appear on the main account holder

Hi everyone, probably a corner case, but it’s making 2 paying Emma users a bit frustrated…
(Summary at the end)

I have an Amex account where I added the missus as a supplementary cardholder.

My wife and I are both Emma Pro users. We both use the integration between Emma and Amex to keep track of our spending and much more.
While she only gets her purchases from Amex shown in Emma, I get both mine and hers (I guess since I’m the main account holder). This is causing friction since I can’t budget properly at all in Emma.
I’ve tried excluding a purchase from analytics, but then I get all similar purchases excluded, regardless if they’re mines or hers…

Has anyone else experienced this? Do we have a solution?

TL,DR:
I don’t have a way to differentiate in Emma between us two, although Amex is able to differentiate between the two cardholders.

Hey @SebTm,

thanks for reaching out!

I remember one of our users having this issue and using tags to filter out the partner’s spending. It definitely helps with tracking, since you can check the totals in Search. However, it doesn’t solve the analytics issue.

I am not sure if other people here have found better ways?

2 Likes

Thanks @edoardomoreni,
I appreciate you taking the time, just wondering if the Amex API endpoint you’re using doesn’t have this information being sent… my thinking was I can then either create a custom rule or filter it somehow in analytics.

Simplest solution is for her to get her own Amex or just stop using the card - or only infrequently. There’s no easy way to solve this, imo, in Emma.

1 Like

I had the issue too and I found that with Amex there is a Parent card and a Child card.

The Parent card will get info about its own transactions (yours) & the Child’s (your partner) transactions.

This is what my wife and I do as we share our entire finances:

• 1 Emma account (not 2) for our family
  • only add the Parent Amex card, not add the Child card

This way you only see all transactions once.

1 Like

We have just 1 Emma account too but a big gap imo is that emma doesn’t show who spent what. We also have amex and a couple chase cards where i get my wife her own card but it has the same number. Chase and Amex list my wifes name when a charge comes in with the card she used but emma doesn’t show. It would be a great feature if i can see throughout the month and years how much we each spend and where

We have this as well. Out of interest what do you want to do with transactions that you have split between you? The other option is to get yourself a child card as well although I’m not sure if this is possible?

I left a comment on this the other day. I have an issue as I am not sure how to easily split out these transaction so that only half appear on my analytics but also that I can add them to a group so that I know what amount my partner needs to pay into my Amex.

I am yet to find a really good to solution like Emma for couples though - these apps are built with single people in mind but having something that really supports couples would be great!

1 Like