The top 10 destinations for remote work

As 2021 begins to come to an end, it’s clear that the shift towards remote working will remain. Companies continue to be hesitant around bringing employees back in full-time, and employees are similarly reticent to come back to the office. :card_index_dividers: So it’s time to try to live and work in another country. :world_map:

Remote’s “Best Destinations for Remote Work” is an in-depth statistical analysis and evaluation of every country in the world and all 50 U.S. states across seven relevant categories: internet infrastructure, attractiveness, safety, quality of life, openness, cost of living, and special incentives for remote workers.

When attributing equal weights to all seven components, the top 10 destinations for remote work are:

1. Toronto, Canada
  2. Madrid, Spain
  3. Auckland, New Zealand
  4. Madeira, Portugal
  5. Helsinki, Finland
  6. Svalbard, Norway
  7. Berlin, Germany
  8. Valparaiso, Chile
  9. Dublin, Ireland
  10. Sydney, Australia

Which destination will you choose? :thinking:

• Toronto
  • Madrid
  • Auckland
  • Madeira
  • Helsinki
  • Svalbard
  • Berlin
  • Valparaiso
  • Dublin
  • Sydney

0 voters

1 Like

I have worked remotely before, this is a good list, all great cities. It does miss out for me though one of the main advantages you can leverage when doing remote work, which is living in developing countries. There are many safe options out there, Chiang Mai in Thailand became a major hub for remote workers, with great Thai food, nice weather everyday, but the main thing was the cost of living, you can live like a millionaire out there with what you would call an average salary in the UK. It’s really safe too with fast wifi. Vietnam too is awesome, even cheaper than Thailand, I could take an Uber anywhere in the city for 50p to £1. £200 per month city centre apartment. £2 a meal at modern high quality restaurants. You can spend a lot more too if you want but yeah it was great to earn a UK salary and leverage that type of spending. Plus I love different cultures, the more different it is the more I feel I gain in experience and learning the different beliefs.

Wifi speed and cost is important so be careful on this aspect some countries for me I had to leave due to the wifi being as slow as the 1990s!

The world is your oyster with remote work, I love it with a passion.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your experience. :slightly_smiling_face:

I wonder which countries had slow Internet connections. Can you share them with us?

I’d go to Chile. eheh

The Philippines was the worst, in theory it’s a perfect place, 95% of the population speak excellent English, really good friendly Spanish south american type vibes there, it feels like everyone can just speak fluent English, gorgeous islands, beyond anything anywhere I have ever been, sunsets on another level.

Singapore also everyone speaks fluent English there and their wifi speeds are excellent, very expensive place to live though unless you know some tricks how to keep expenses low.

Taiwan is a good middle ground, feels very much like a modern developed country but way cheaper than Hong Kong and Singapore, excellent wifi speeds too.

The ability for locals to speak English though for me makes such a massive difference this is where Singapore and Philippines really stand out in that respect.

The internet in the Philippines is just a ridiculous joke though, so bad I had to leave hahaha, that’s what happens when corrupt mobile networks have backdoor deals with the government paying them not to allow any other competition into the market thus they don’t need to give a good service and can charge crazy high prices, there internet is more expensive than the UK and their average income salary is 10x less than in the UK, kinda crazy.

This website is great for searching for remote work places, it lists most cities in the world and breaks them down for safety, wifi speeds, all kinds of aspects https://nomadlist.com

It’s good to know :joy:

I didn’t know about this website. It is very useful! :+1:

Probably gave a longer response than needed but this was my life until lockdowns. Vietnam was my favourite place, ticked all the boxes apart from the locals speaking fluently English, everything else was ticked.