Payments in Emma

This is bad, thanks for pointing it out.

Yes, it was behind a feature flag for a while - we decided to make some last minute changes. :wink:

1 Like

Has anyone tried the universal links? Pay @edoardomoreni on Emma app

On mobile I would expect it to launch the app or at least present a button which could trigger the app to open.

Scanning the QR code asks if you want to open the EMMA app, then drops you onto the homepage. Really I would expect it to send me to the Pay tab with the receipient populated, leaving just the amount you want to send.

The pay flow is a bit wrong to me, I would first expect to find who I am sending money to, then enter the amount. Right now it’s enter the amount then try to find the user, if they are not in the contacts then you are out of luck.

The app lets me proceed to the select contact screen with a pay amount that is greater than my balance according to the EMMA app, at the very least I would expect a warning.

Another thing, it’s unclear what the privacy policy is around sharing contacts with the EMMA app. Monzo does the explaining part of this well.

It should open a modal. Which QR code are you scanning? :wink:

As you can see on your version, there is no QR code - it’s coming in a couple of hrs.

What modal? Where should it show it?

I scanned yours

@edoardomoreni

then I scanned mine

@saf

Scanning either does this

That then drops you into the EMMA app home screen.

Is that what you meant?

Yeah, it should open a modal with a payment request.

I can’t get it to work… :disappointed:

I just tried this on my end using your link. Unfortunately it bugs out :frowning: After typing my message and amount, the overlay “drops” and the send button is no longer visible on the screen. I can only drag the overlay further down, not up. See screenshot:

Have been testing the general pay function over the last day with a few friends. Feedback from me and them so far:

-Superior to Monzo/Revolut in that you don’t need a “pot” on their accounts to send money.

-Feature overall a bit too clunky at the moment to be preferred if both people still have Monzo/Revolut. After choosing a contact to send, there are too many steps to verify the transaction in the sender’s internet banking app.

-Having pots with Emma would be preferred with some people if it would reduce numbers of steps taken for a transfer.

-Would it be possible to do a pre approval of amount and destination address in Emma as opposed to going into 3rd party banking apps when making a payment? Another layer of permission to allow Emma to make payments confirmed within the back with biometrics / Emma pin for example. I think that would massively improve the user experience and encourage more adoption. If you want to get a feel for an ideal workflow, I would recommend having a look at the Swedish “Swish” app which does something very similar and is the most seemless way to pay I know. I prefer it over card payment even, and Swish is offered as a way to pay both online and in store all over Sweden because of its ease of use.

There’s a short demo of the steps in th link above on the “Swish” subtab:

This is basically what we can do with Open Banking.

The good news is we are building pots, so we can extend it. :wink:

Can you ping live chat? It would be great to know what device you have.

To make Payments in Emma possible, we partnered with Open Banking infrastructure provider Yapily.

They’ve written an interesting piece about the partnership which you can read here :arrow_down:

1 Like

Does this mean we are now good to go for moneyfarm ?

Hey @plord - I don’t have any updates about Moneyfarm yet, but I’ll let you know as soon as I do.

For anyone that is interested in transferring money between their own accounts in Emma, we’ve added a sneak preview here :point_down:

Not sure if this is already known, but I use a larger font on my iPhone and this appears to misalign the button text on the pay page (but only the top ones):

Thanks a lot for reporting this, we’ll fix it. :slight_smile:

Just done a payment account to account. Monzo to Revolut worked well.

It feels strange though that the balances don’t change in Emma. Maybe a transfer should trigger an account sync?

Yes, we are adding this very soon.

We’ll force a sync after the payment.

You must be on the new Android Beta? :wink:

2 Likes