Splitwise in Emma

We have been thinking about this for the past few days.

Would it be cool to have the same functionality as Splitwise in Emma? We can even add Open Banking payments to consolidate the debt when you want to close your “group”.

3 Likes

Yes! :raised_hands:

My better half and I both use Emma and now we don’t both use Monzo, it makes it harder. We have an app for this but putting it within Monzo would be great.

Perhaps you could auto-create a budget item to pay money towards the splits too and encourage them to slow spending if they maybe won’t make their payment on their part of the split :wink:

Lol, this is cool. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe. However, I think it would be much harder to get my family and friends to sign up to Emma than it is to get them to sign up to Splitwise. That’s because Emma really requires the user to buy into open banking and lots of people aren’t comfortable with that yet. I suppose one way round that would be to have some kind of guest/starter user status in Emma where a user could join a Splitwise-type group without having to connect their own bank accounts.

Also, I’m pretty happy with the simplicity of Splitwise so I’m not sure I’d even try to move my split expenses management/tracking over to Emma if it had such features. Would quite like to see my own Splitwise balances inside Emma though.

Yes, but there will be still some word of mouth. That’s the main reason why we want to build the feature. :wink:

I think Emma is lacking sharing features and that was probably a mistake, although we have been pretty happy with the way people have talked about the app so far.

1 Like

Hey guys,

we have been working on this quite a lot and I have some previews.

Emma Groups will be part of our new Pay tab, which will replace Save Money for :uk:users.

The feature will work in conjunction with Payments and will let you settle straight from the app in two taps.

4 Likes

Will payments be between Emma users only, or anyone with a bank account?

1 Like

I’m so excited for this!!

Emma users only.

We are going to enable transfers later on, this will allow you to add any payee.

1 Like

The other exciting bit is that you can add either payments Emma has detected or custom ones (like cash transactions).

What I find exciting is that it will sit in the new Pay tab, so we can make it work in conjunction with P2P payments.

1 Like

Any idea when this will hit beta?

1 Like

We can hopefully be live either next week or the following.

Payments will go out first and we need to do an amendment of the terms and conditions since we are using Yapily.

1 Like

How can I become a beta tester for this? Sounds like it’d be really useful for me!

1 Like

We will ask here in the thread!

We are planning to release payments first. :wink:

1 Like

This will probably be counter to the efforts here but would it be possible to integrate Splitwise itself as an account in Emma? It seems like they have a public API. I currently manually track my total owed as an offline account at the moment. I use it with my partner for tracking payment splitting - getting them to sign up for emma is another kettle of fish so it would be great to have it available as an API integration

1 Like

Hey @KezzaMcDezza :wave:

I’m not sure if we’d look at integrating them now that we’re building a similar feature - I will mention it to the team though

How can we convince your partner to download Emma instead? :joy:

I think the only way this would work for us is if your able to use the Splitwise style functionality in Emma without having to setup any bank accounts. It needs to be an almost no setup affair like Splitwise is.

The Emma UI can be overwhelming for anyone who hasn’t used it so I think I would have strong pushback from trying to change from a very simple / focused app like Splitwise to Emma’s offering.

There is definitely a world where we could be convinced but to be honest I would much prefer an integration as well to allow me to chose. I think not integrating with platforms because you may add that feature sets a bad precedent. I don’t want to be in a scenario where I’m forced to use the Emma version of a particular feature because you aren’t considering integrations because of competition. In the long run that would push me to look for other platforms that can fit my use (rather than fitting my use to the platform).

One of the original reasons I moved to Emma on a paid subscription is that offline accounts allowed me to generically track all my accounts. I prefer more of that flexibility.

1 Like