Net Worth Calculation

Hi everyone & happy Tuesday!

On the blog today is a quick look into net worth, specifically how you calculate your own.

https://emma-app.com/blog/2020/07/14/calculate-net-worth/

I know a few people here have already mentioned they track their net worth, so would be great to hear your thoughts on the post!

1 Like

When I was using PFM app Moneydance, the favourite graph over time was the net worth graph. It kept me in check with updating transactions (pre Open Banking) and gave a sense of validation that hard work does pay off, even if slowly.

I did see someone ask for this as a feature for the appā€¦ :wink:

I currently note mine down each month in excel, but Iā€™ve never really thought about adding a graph in!

I guess a graph is a nice way to track any progress (although Iā€™m considering starting again and taking my student loan out of the calculation so itā€™s a little less depressing haha? :see_no_evil:)

And yeah I think itā€™s on the to-do list! :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

:raised_hand::raised_hand::grin:

2 Likes

Morning everyone! :star_struck:

What do we think of the new Net Worth section on the app?

Love it! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

But thatā€™s me being totally biased as itā€™s something I asked for along with other people :grin:

An a side note, its quite cool using an app that the team behind the app actively act on customer feedback!!! 10 out of 10 from me.

You canā€™t please everyone but Iā€™m pleased!

LOVE THIS :raised_hands::raised_hands:

I do t-shirt design and print in my free time and I think Iā€™d be one of many emma users walking around in one of these if it existed :grin::grin::grin:

4 Likes

Pleeeease make that and send us a pic :joy:

This is really cool! Is it just a little side hustle you have, or more for fun?

We are also adding a Net Worth graph. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha will see what I can do as I have a few friends style shirts in the works for my Etsy store :slight_smile:

It started off as I run and play in loads of squash tournaments and wasnā€™t overly impressed with designs, costs and turnaround times of some print companies so I did my own ones and before I knew it people were asking where I got my T-shirts printed and I started doing some for other, events, clubs and teamsā€¦with lockdown stopping squash for a few months, Iā€™ve been playing around with some non-squash designs to go on my Etsy store to raise some cash for some good causes and to sponsor smaller events for up and coming pro players.

Works for me and keeps me busy in my spare time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great news :grin::+1:t2::+1:t2:

Just put it in as a tax at whatever percent above the income threshold - after all, thatā€™s what it is

Thatā€™s amazing!!

1 Like

Although both these things are flexible, I think the Net Worth bit needs to have a ā€˜approx mortgage outstandingā€™ section to delete off the ā€˜asset valueā€™ of your house. Appreciate they move over time, but if Iā€™ve a Ā£120k house, with Ā£100k outstanding - it doesnā€™t feel accurate to say Iā€™ve Ā£120k
Cheers

Hey @APW :wave:

Thanks for the suggestion!

Where would you see this going in the app? In the section for Real Estate? Or under loans?

Iā€™d say in the Real Estate bit - so itā€™s tied together. Theyā€™re both manual so itā€™s easy to give it an update every year or so.

Alsoā€¦ I put the value in (so the Ā£125-Ā£100 for example), but then the boost of my Net Value felt too highā€¦

Is there a better option for Net Value being liquid (so more immediate and controllableā€¦ Technically most cash/investment assets are pretty liquid) and then house or car etc might total up elsewhere - for net net view??

Personally, Iā€™d prefer to do away with the sections anyway and let users group their accounts any way they want. I would have something like ā€œMain current accountsā€, ā€œEveryday credit cardsā€, ā€œBalance transfer credit cardsā€, ā€œISAsā€ and so on. But why not a ā€œMy houseā€ section with one account for the value of the property and one for the mortgage?

The ā€œEverydayā€ section is actually a bit confusing alongside the Net Worth structure. And you end up with Assets tucked away in a far corner of the app.

Edit: It would be great to be able to group categories under Analytics for the same reason

This is quite a nice idea - a few more detailed headers instead of just spending/ committed spending?

Ideally, Iā€™d love to organise my categories into groups and have those groups displayed under the spending and committed spending. But just being able to sort by category would be good!