(Most-Wanted) Features

Unlimited splits would be great! I just spent $484 on my credit card, but they were 18 different purchases.

Haha we’ll see what we can do :smirk:

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy: Worth a shot!

1 Like

Yep, we are doing this.

1 Like

YES!!! I love you guys!!!

1 Like

Feature Requests

• Export transaction data based on Tag and/or Category (This one is most important to me)
  • Hide custom categories & tags from analytics
  • Ability to count an item as business expense / budget for business expenses (Just as important to me as the other)
  • Exclude transaction from analytics without changing it’s category!
  • Search (button on top left) on Feed page (for quick access)
  • Login via Email & Password (other than third party service or phone number)
  • When searching, display money total of resulted items.
  • iPad & Mac app (or online portal)
  • Emma Discord Server :wink:
  • Edit (hide/show) cards displayed on Feed page

And last but not least… More descriptive changelogs on the App Store! What exactly was fixed!? What exactly was improved!? The last 22 updates over a 3 month period have only said “Bug fixes & performance improvements.” That tells me literally nothing. For all I know you’ve been moving a button back in fourth between updates over the last 3 months.

I appreciate when I’m told exactly what’s been improved, fixed, added, or enhanced because it lets me know the app is actively being worked on and that the devs aren’t just doing one minor little thing, just so they can say development is at a steady pace. I don’t need hyper descriptive details about refactored functions and variable names, but if a button was just slightly adjusted to the left, or there’s been a minor improvement in launch time, tell us! Don’t just say “Bug fixes & performance improvements.” Too many apps do this, and it’s annoying. Worst of all, it’s LAZY! If you’re like this about simple changelogs, who knows where else there’s slacking. I’m not saying you ARE lazy, I’m just saying this can come off that way.

Best of all, there’s no added production costs, R&D, or development in doing this! So I hope to see better changelogs moving forward! :slight_smile:

I hope that these will be throughly considered and implemented into next updates. I really have problems finding an app that helps me balance personal finance with business finance. That’s the number one problem I’m facing that no app has been able to solve. Closest candidate was Mint, and that’s just sad.

I know that designing an app that can do this well and with polish be tricky to execute, but if you guys can pull this off and implement the above listed features, you will definitely see a hardcore loyal customer for many years to come! Not to mention, you’ll have made a solution for thousands of self-employed people that we’ve been craving for years!

I understand this post might sound a little harsh in some areas, haha! But rest assured, I just want what’s best for the app! From what I’ve seen in the forums thus far, it does seem like you guys genuinely care, and that speaks volumes. Communication and transparency is vitally important to me. And the app is incredibly polished and well thought out, and that’s why I’ve spent most of my day going back through here and refining this post as I’ve been using the app.

So, if anybody at Emma could let me know if any of the things I’ve mentioned above are being worked on, are heavily under consideration, or are added to some “next to add” list, please let me know. Any response would be much appreciated! Best of luck to the team!

TLDR

• I have feature request that I believe are vitally important for myself and many other users who are self employed and have business expenses, and I want them added asap please! :3
  • Be more descriptive with your changelogs.
  • Good job on making a pretty and polished app!
  • Please respond, lol

I disagree on the changelogs for now.

Emma release so many updates, sometimes one a day gets approved and made public. What they do extremely well is announce new features in emails and the community, and communicate items that have been fixed here too.

They heavily use switching too (releasing new features but keeping it disabled) so sometimes it’s easier just to ship it without changing the release notes that are there.

While I am all for reading changelogs, most don’t. I appreciate you believe these features will be helpful for thousands of people (mass onboarding of self-employed people?), I can say as a self-employed person I wouldn’t want to use Emma for my business accounts, and I am the only one of my friends I know that read release notes. I’ve asked them because I write them each week in my job and was curious.

I think the change logs make a lot of sense for indie apps that get updated twice a year. In the case of Emma, we release twice a week and sometimes it can be a quick A/B test on the onboarding flow to see if we can convert way more users. That’s why it becomes a bit irrelevant to write that description. :sob:

For example, in our last update we introduced a different funnel for people that come from Facebook Ads.

These are very important things, but not core to the user experience.

1 Like

What about noon UK Bank integration?
Will be great and complete for me tonhave it all

1 Like

Maybe change the description to “Backend updates”, rather then “Bug fixes”

1 Like

The ability to search, select and mass edit would be great. Imo, the advanced search is a pretty weak part of the app.

I’d love to use it more, but I have to cycle through the icons to remember what they all mean, and then I can’t do anything with the results anyway.

Something more prosaic, akin to the transactions filter dozens has would be nice

1 Like

For these things.

1. This is something we wanted to add to Search. It would work really well.
  2. What does this mean?
  3. We have a business category.
  4. This is a nice addition. :wink:
  5. We’ll see what we can do here. :roll_eyes:
  6. We have decided not to add Email/Passwords for security reasons. It’s much safer this way and we don’t have to deal with it.
  7. A must ad.
  8. A web app would be great.
  9. How would you use the server?
  10. This is a bit tough for us, we are always changing the feed. :sweat_smile:

For example, I like to track my credit card repayments as a category, so I can see them all in one place each month. But it messes up the analytics. I’d like to see them as a category, but exclude them from my monthly analytics. So you’d see Spending, Income and Excluded on the analytics screen

1 Like

I think being able to classify any category or even account as Business, then putting it on a separate analytics page, separate accounts tab, separated from net worth - basically in its own dedicated part of the app - would be the sort of powerful business budgeting tool a few people are looking for. Maybe even an entirely separate Emma Business subscription

This, as well as daily totals when you view an account

1 Like
  1. Let’s say I create a custom category called “Secret Things”, and I don’t want it to be shown in analytics, but I still want it to be in that category for organization and not put in “excluded”. There could be a toggle for categories (when you edit or add them) that allow you to hide them from analytics.

Basically: Hide every transaction within a category by hiding the category itself.

1. Sorry, I should have elaborated more. My mother works as a tax professional, and she had informed me that they do require specific categorization other than just “business”. Like “office & supplies”, “advertising”, etc.

There’s a category for business, sure, but I’m still having to create my own categories. Electronics & Software is a common category I use in both personal and business. But since I can only add one category, I’m not sure which is which! I can use tags, sure, but now it’s mixed in with my personal analytics.

This is the issue I’m running into. Not to mention, when you want to exclude from analytics, it completely changes its category!! I didn’t know this until later. I thought it would keep its category, just hide it. My hopes are that this will change soon.

Perhaps a better solution is a checkbox under each transaction at the very bottom (so it doesn’t get in the way of users who don’t often have business expenses). “This is a business expense” or “Mark as business” or just “Business expense”.

And once again, please make hidden transactions not rely on a category change to function! :gift_heart:

1. But I’m not dismissing Mac/iPad either. More specifically Mac. :blush:

2. Yes, but “Invite a friend, get $15” is not something I do everyday (or every week for that matter), and it takes up screen space that could otherwise show me content that I actually use everyday, quicker. I also have no interest in “cashback” section either.

This ^^^
As I said, we don’t need hyper specifics. Just general specifics. But not too general that every changelog over the last 3 months are literally copy and paste. It rubs off the wrong way.

To @jase , if you can communicate what’s been added or fixed via email and community forums, it shouldn’t be too difficult to translate that over to the changelog. I’m just not seeing where being slightly more descriptive instead of just copying and pasting, is such a big issue. :confused:

Heyyy @Gaoler

I don’t have dozens so haven’t seen this screen before, but I’m intrigued by the “how it made you feel” section…!

Is that something that you can attribute to each transaction you make? Do you use that feature much?

Yes, you can rate each transaction in terms of how it makes you feel. It’s broken at the moment in fact, while they’re upgrading, but I used to use it all the time.

You get points for their Savers Awards each time you rate a transaction (as well as various other things, like setting up a weekly saving). I won ÂŁ100 one month :smiling_face:

The rating system just made me think about my spending a bit more. “Am I happy about this?” is quite a useful measure of whether a transaction is necessary

1 Like

I think this one is quite a nice idea! :bulb:

1 Like