Did you go to University?

The Telegraph has written a new article about Britain’s highest paying degrees according to graduate salaries.

The University of Oxford’s course in business and management tops the list. Its graduates earn an average of £70,800 within five years of finishing the course.

Those in the performing and creative arts face the lowest salaries after graduating. They have averages of £21,200 - below the UK average of approximately £30,420 for the typical UK full-time employee

If you went to university, what course did you do/ are you doing? Did you research the average graduate salary for your role before starting your course? And if you could go back in time, would you study something else?

Cyber Security, probably finishing with a degree in computing. Don’t suppose there was anything on university of Gloucestershire in the article?

No, didn’t look. But I know a friend working making £6,3k a month after tax and he’s only 25 or so

I’d probably have studied business and language studies or business and computing and then done a qualification in French, Japanese or Mandarin separately

In hindsight I’d have liked to go to Imperial College London, Cambridge, Manchester or LSE, too

So that’s about £120K a year gross? Very nice for a 25 year old!

Do you speak any other languages?

Well. I think he’s 25 anyways. He could be 26/27 now; he did some work at Amazon for a year or so

Esperanto but it’s so useless I’m tempted to take it off of my CV, maintaining another LinkedIn profile in it has done literally zero but add administrative burden for me

I can also understand some limited mandarin (in the context of my work) and some Japanese (less limited than my mandarin, but still not great)

How about you?

How did you come to learn that?

Hmm not really. I spent 6 months in South America, so I picked up a fair bit of Spanish. I didn’t keep it up when I came home though, so I probably couldn’t hold a proper conversation any more!

Less than 100 estimated native speakers, less than 1000 estimated as fluent, less than 10,000 estimated as being able to talk about relatively complex topics, less than 100,000 to be able to talk about some things and about 1m who know a bit

I just never find someone to speak to outside of dedicated places, I guess on the bright side I can always use Passporta Servo to visit a foreign country for free if I wanted

This is cool! Have you done it before?

I think homestays can be a great experience, and are a good excuse to practice a new language/ get to know how the locals live - sounds even better if you can get it for free!

No! I guess what I want to say is, I’d only want to stay with someone small enough that they couldn’t beat me up :sweat_smile: and I’m scared to chance going abroad to live with someone I’d never met before (despite I guess I’d done this with my American ex)

Just graduated with a degree in Chemical engineering.

Yeah, I did back then and they looked fairly decent at the time (not so much anymore :joy:).

I wouldn’t.

2 Likes

Congrats @sufyan98 :raised_hands:

1 Like

Thank you @jase!! :grinning:

1 Like

I studied law. Now I’m a lawyer, so I guess that worked out.

Obviously, I knew the average salary for a lawyer was up there. But I didn’t look up average salary by uni. IMO, it shouldn’t matter where you go, as long as you know you’ll have a good time at uni. I wouldn’t consider a table such as this to be a factor in determining where and what to study. That’s especially true of wannabe lawyers because, as more then half of colleagues my level did, you can take a conversion course for law (in fact, you can just take a super exam now).

That being said I don’t regret studying law at all. It’s completely different to practising as a solicitor but I enjoyed it.

2 Likes

:clap::clap::clap:

Yeah, I think this is really important - obviously you need to be interested in the course, but there are so many other factors to think about when deciding on a university.

Is this just like a part-time course that you can do? And you get to a similar level of those that studied law at uni?

1 Like

Not sure on the details I’m afraid - you might need a separate degree first or you might not, I forget!

I think you’re talking about the SQE 1&2 - which you do after a degree.

https://www.law.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/sqe/

Currently studying for an MA(law) as a mature student (which would lead to the outgoing LPC or SQE route), because I’m interested in law, and because I might want to switch careers… If not, I’m sure it will give me new skills and knowledge.

These are mashed statistics. You need the sample size with median and mode to make meaningful statements. You also need to distinguish between course types, as some tend to be career-specific