The ‘Brexit’ Thread 🇬🇧

Always an interesting topic to post on any Internet forum… :sweat_smile:

What’s everyones thoughts on the latest extension (until 31 October)?

This is soooo off-topic, but in the right category. :grimacing:

I need to apply for EU settlement status, if this happens. eheh

Don’t wait for it, do it as soon as possible. I got a reply with my settled status within 20 minutes. I will definitely apply for British citizenship next January ( one needs to wait 1 year after getting indefinite leave to remain before applying )

I really don’t see any reason to reject my application. :sweat_smile:

Do they even do that?

Not that I’m aware of but I thought I better do it quickly so I could naturalise British; something I should have done years ago.

Meanwhile, I need to apply for dual citizenship and an EU passport… ah the things we have to do to maintain our existing rights and freedoms :slight_smile:

1 Like

ahah do you have some Irish relatives? I have heard people doing it. :laughing:

I’m half Austrian :smiley:

1 Like

That is a life saver then! :smiley:

Brexit means breakfast

1 Like

Can’t wait until it’s all over tbh

I don’t care what happens anymore :crazy_face:

I have got my Uk passport and my German passport so I am sorted haha

My mum is German so I was lucky. I also had a children’s German passport when I was younger.

That’s crazy! I don’t understand how that works. Where is your wife from?

My mum was going to get a Uk passport but it costs quite a lot

wow that’s crazy!

NHS fees up from is ridiculous

I would be so annoyed if I had to do my driving test again especially theory as I am sure they made it harder in recent years.

That is so ridiculous! My mum had to do a course because she was driving 25 mph in a 20 zone. SO LONG!

Germany law states you can only be a dual citizen with another member state of the European Union, if we cease to be a member I presume this means you would have to pick between your citizenships (I would go with the German one!)

No offense but I can understand this - you need to prove that you can support yourself to avoid being a drain on the welfare state.

This is rubbish though as you contribute to the he NHS with taxes - I guess it is underfunded enough that free money is never missed though.

Irrelevant

Okay :slight_smile: that’s the amount allowed by an IDP

So you admit she needed to adapt to UK driving - which means she wouldn’t have passed the test, either theory or practical.

In my opinion that’s why they should be testing her - even her own husband admits she needed to study to pass it under UK rules.

As such the rules dictate who is okay and who isn’t to drive on our roads.

To have a single market with free movement to facilitate trade, you need the ability to drive freely through each member state to easily

Undermining the single market isn’t an option unless you want the entire bloc to crumble.

Yes you are right, so fingers cross none of this crap even happens! It would be kind of difficult for me to leave the Uk when I work here haha, also I don’t think my bf would be very impressed lol

1 Like

My friend it seems you misunderstood - rubbish as in it sucks.

How is DVLA meant to know that? That’s the idea of IDP’s. It’s your state confirming it for your by saying you have a valid drivers license.

They’re only meant to be temporary as each state has different driving regulations too.

It is completely irrelevant. My father drove since he was 13 on private land in turkey - doesn’t mean he should be allowed to here.

There’s no guarantee of any quality when trained abroad either.

She’s a drain on public services should you not be able to support her and end up on the streets.

I saw a police woman arguing with a homeless woman aggressively begging the other day. I’m not saying your wife would do this - I’m saying they need to ensure you have entirely adequate capability to support yourselves as to not become a drain on the system.

You’ll find that if you remain in the UK as a permanent resident after 12 months you’re required to swap to a UK license - whether there’s a test for this I’m not sure.

I definitely know there is for non-EU residents.

It could be perhaps that there is a ‘universal European standard’ for driving tests that just aren’t tested as well in other countries due to lower road standards and other drivers being poor forcing bad decisions etc

I’m not going to say you’re wrong but could you elaborate and perhaps provide some government document that backs this up? I find it very hard to believe as an EU National not from the UK that I’d be able to import foreign women as I like with less restrictions than a UK National

Bringing this thread back to life as we’re getting close to the election.

Has anyone’s thoughts changed since they last posted? What about you @grant.m since you’re the author of this post?

I went to a Lib Dem rally the other week not because I have any particular affiliation with the Lib Dems but rather because I thought it’d be fun. My diplomatic answer is that it was very interesting (but also quite fun) :sunglasses: