API for data export

Hi

I’d love to be able to pull my Emma data via an API. I know there is the export function, but it’s something I’d like to automate.

The use case is that I have a database which existed before Emma which id like to import my Emma data into.

Is this something you’d consider as a Pro feature or maybe a paid add on?

2 Likes

I wonder if you can do most of this already with the Excel export. What database are you using?

A propos of this, it would be great to add unique IDs to transactions in the Excel export, which should make importing more recent transactions easier.

1 Like

We can do this.

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. The export would work, but it would be nice to have something which I can automate - also is the export CSV or is it XSLX?

As of today, it should be a csv. :slight_smile:

Is it likely you’ll offer an API at all?

Not sure how often older threads are read!

1 Like

I would say yes, but not in the short term. :wink:

Does 3 years later count as medium or long-term? :wink:

Providing a very basic API that provides only

1. Authentication
  2. Current balances

Shouldn’t be especially difficult - and would go some way to being a good member of the larger community - especially since Emma can only exist because others provide APIs of their own :grimacing:

(sure - that’s the start of a turtle all the way down argument - but you take my point. So many feature requests on here are hamstrung by the lack of APIs from a given institution)

Failing that, a widget for any of the following balances would satisfy the requirement I have personally:

• Everday
  • Net worth
  • Spend for the current month or rolling 31 days

I do not ask these things frivolously; I have been diagnosed with ADHD but am currently unmedicated ADHD, and Emma isn’t really helping me be much more aware of my spending in the way that I hoped. So these features could make a real difference to my ongoing financial hygiene. I desperately don’t want to end up in piles of debt again; three times was enough - and I don’t know if I’ll be as lucky getting out of it next time :exploding_head:

:pray:

Hey there!
Great question I’d say medium term… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
We definitely do want to provide an API for data export it just isn’t something that is a huge priority for us at the moment and being a small team we can only do so much at a time :sweat_smile:
Like you pointed out we have benefited from other’s having an API and it definitely is something we wnt to provide to our users as well! Widget’s as well is another feature we look forward to being able to share in time!

+1 for API!

What would you like to see in the API?