Analytics by category over time periods

Hi, I really like the app!

One of the things that I’d really like to be able to do is to get summaries of my spending based on entire categories and be able to see reports for the spending over a variable time range.

For example, I’d love to know much I have spent on “Bills” or a custom category such as “Lunch at work”

• In the last 3 months
  • In the last 6 months
  • In the last year
  • Beginning of time
  • Between X date and X date

You could then further break down this category summary into merchants within this category. So for example, in the last 6 months:

I have spent £500 on the “Lunch” category
Within “Lunch” I have spent

• £100 at Tesco
  • £50 at McDonalds
  • £50 at Greggs
  • £300 at Subway

The monthly analytics breaks this down for you already, but you can only see month-by-month. The ability to breakdown by a custom range would be really useful so I could get yearly reports on what I’m spending my money on.

2 Likes

Hi @Sinmok, thanks for posting!

Have you tried the histogram in the feed? It’s just below the pay period card. :slight_smile:

Hi @edoardomoreni, this is close to what I’d like to see but it seems to only show for the last 4 months and is pretty basic.

I’d like to be able to see this data over a variable time range. Perhaps also with the option of viewing this data for more than one category at a time and with combined categories too?

For example:
Show me how much I have spent on bills and groceries in the last X months.

Show me how much I have spent on bills vs groceries in the last X months.

Cheers

1 Like

This has been requested a number of times. At the moment because this is not available i have to maintain an excel sheet of catageory by month to get a handle on my spending over 12 months. Other periods are not useable as i have a number of annual payments.

@edoardomoreni Any chance we could get this in? I’d be happy to pay for this feature as part of Emma PRO.

I think we are going to kill the histogram and move it in the second level of analytics; so you can swipe back in time and see the value for each month.

In addition to that, whenever you click on a bar, you should be able to see the transactions for that given month right away. :wink:

For Pro, we were thinking of adding rolling budgets. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like