Accounts section: account grouping and sort order

I think if I only had one bank and it was one of the traditional banks I’d still be inclined to use Emma as an augmentation tool. I’d find the spending analytics (e.g categorisation), transaction notes, regular payment visibility, and transaction search useful. None of my traditional banks have these features and I find all of them useful in their own right.

However if my only bank was Monzo there would be no point in me using Emma as Monzo has all these features built in.

For my actual situation (multiple banks and credit cards) I value Emma as an account aggregator but also for the tools mentioned above since I can include my non-Monzo spending.

It’s certainly interesting, and surprising to me. Would definitely be interested in more insights in where you think you are/what your plans are.

Judging by your example in the next post, I maybe think Emma isn’t meant for me - I keep track of that sort of thing with or without Emma.

That’s the good thing about the world. We are 7 billion. :stuck_out_tongue:

We see all sorts of things, but the majority of population doesn’t have multiple accounts and has got the same problems. We also see people with Monzo using Emma, so there must be some secret magic. ehehe

In the past, we have also seen people saying they wouldn’t recommend Emma to their friends because ‘their finances were too easy’; which is quite hilarious, since we want to build a tool accessible for people like that.

1 Like

You mean with Monzo as the sole connected account?

Yes and I can see more in the future.

1 Like

Wasn’t sure where best to post this, feel free to move somewhere else!

Could you give us a rough indication of how many Emma users there are? I’m curious to know, because, quite often Emma tells me I’m in the top 95% of Emma users for my spending at Wetherspoons! Naturally, you’d assume that I’d be spending a lot, but often it’s just a couple of pints a week (< £10) - I suppose this suggests that not all that many Emma users go to Wetherspoons very often! But it would be interesting to know 95% of how many, roughly…

We are in the billionzzz. ehehe

I hear ya! - I mean, either way - I really like being guilt-tripped by Emma about my spending by comparing myself to others! It’s a useful feature that I don’t think other companies offer.

ehhee thanks!

We are going to build more and more reports like that. :wink:

1 Like

I think a new tab for “All” at the top with the other account types would be good. However, I like the accounts being sorted by balance, as they currently are.

Perhaps there could be an option to sort by banking group, alphabetically, or balance in the Settings?

1 Like

It’s definitely possible to have different options!

1 Like

I have come up to the conclusion that ordering make sense and we should build it.

Where do you think this option should lie? I mean UI wise.

There isn’t much space in the Accounts tab.

cc @o99

2 Likes

You mean you’ve decided to provide an option for sort order (by account value, by account name, etc) and am asking for suggestions on where to place that option? Or something else?

1 Like

Yes, I mean that.

I think we can add this, just not sure where to have an “order” button.

I suppose the first thing I wonder is whether you have a significant number of users who even like the current sort order (by account value)? If not, perhaps just change to alphabetical order and don’t provide the option to view by account value.

But if you want to provide the option I suppose with your current UI the places that would feel most intuitive to me for a sort option would be next to the search button or the refresh button.

Alternatively, I wonder if this screen is really the best place for the entry to search so perhaps that could be moved elsewhere and replaced with sort. Also, I personally don’t find much value in the chart and would prefer it was not visible by default. Perhaps instead of an visible by default chart you could have an interactive bar near the top with room for various buttons/links. One of which could be a sort button and one of which could be a show chart button.

Regarding execution of alphabetical sorting itself. My suggestion would be to sort firstly based on bank name rather than account name. So if the current accounts were (for example) Santander 123, HSBC Advance, and Barclays Blue Rewards, the alphebetized order in the Current Accounts section would be: (Barclays) Blue Rewards, (HSBC) Advance, (Santander) 123 (i.e. bank name takes precedence). Rather than (Santander) 123, (HSBC) Advance, (Barclays) Blue Rewards (which would happen if account name took precedence).

Are you also considering providing an “All” tab where accounts can be viewed grouped by bank instead of by account type (as per original post in this thread) or are you only working with the existing groupings for now?

2 Likes

I agree with @o99 above that the graph could be hidden by default with options above.

The sort function could also be in a customisation/settings option in the MORE tab. I don’t see I’d want to change the order that frequently, so would be happy for this to buried away more, with other customisation options (such as what you see in your feed).

2 Likes

Okay, cause we can even place it in Settings.

1 Like

@edoardomoreni I’m currently planning to open a new GIC every 2-3 months going forward. (What’s a GIC?) After a bit, that’s gonna turn into a massive mess of accounts. I’d like to group & collapse these GICs into a master folder called “[Bank Name] GICs” and see a total beside the name.

BTW i’d also like to set a maturity date for my GICs…

I have only one bank linked (at present) and I’m a PRO user. My own banking app (Barclays)is pretty good, but the advantages of using Emma are many.

I use Emma primary as a transaction renaming and transaction splitting tool that enables me to correctly categorize my transactions. This then enables Emma to show me, over different time periods, what I’m spending my earnings on which, in turn, helps me budget far better than any standard banking app.

Barclays’ native app has limited tools for budgeting as do most UK native banking apps (I have accounts with 7 UK banks and apps for them all). Emma’s role - for me at least - is to show accurate spending habits and thus help me save money.

Bank aggregation is obviously possible with Emma, however, as Emma isn’t an aggregate tool (it’s a financial planning and budgeting tool) I’m more than happy with the way it sorts accounts by type. I’m more interested in seeing what my current accounts are doing so that I can transfer more to my savings accounts - eventually lol.

1 Like