Accounts section: account grouping and sort order

The more accounts you have, the more useful it is to have a single tool with one way of handling categories for all of them, as the categorisation and budgeting features vary wildly in quality from app to app. Emma standardises the whole lot for you. Aggregating all the metadata is very helpful.

1 Like

I agree. Which is why I may introduce more accounts into Emma - if I decide Emma is to be my default budgeting app. Too early for me to decide yet (although itā€™s looking promising).

Iā€™m surprised this has been open for over a year! :slight_smile:

Is it not straight forward to add an extra ā€œAllā€ tab including all accounts and then the graph at the top shows the total balance across all the accounts?

For financial planning it would be very useful to see the total across all accounts (eg. Including savings, investments and loans) and whether it is going up or down. Otherwise itā€™s difficult to keep track and you end up doing manual calculations outside of the app.

Thanks

3 Likes

I agree with this 100%!

I think the original rationale behind not including it was that the top of the main screen does list all your balances, but you have to do a bit of mental maths to work out the ā€œtrue cash valueā€ of what real money you have right now.

Iā€™d welcome an All tab just to remove the need for this!

We are building this, or something similar.

As part of Net Worth, we are adding a separate view where you can see all the accounts lined up together in sections: Checking, Credit Cards, Savings, Investments, Loans & Property (Houses, Carsā€¦).

2 Likes

Thatā€™s interesting. It doesnā€™t sound like what I would personally like to see (accounts grouped by bank) but will be interesting to see what you come up with.

Can we not have a few options?

By bank
By type
By balance
By name

1 Like

Well, itā€™s not a filter.

Itā€™ just part of the Net Worth view.

We are including the graph + a list of all the accounts. :slight_smile:

Edoardo

1 Like

What about paying users?

What about paying users?

There was a rough and ready poll on the community ages ago

Assuming paying users are more likely to be active on the community, itā€™s probably an indication that they have at least 5+ connected accounts

1 Like

Exactly. My point to @edoardomoreni was that I suspect there has to be a fundamental distinction between freeloaders (young, 1 account) and paying users (maybe less young, maybe more than one account). A blanket statement thatā€™s not following the money risks to throw the product on the wrong track.

Iā€™d assume the aggregation feature nets them more revenue than the 3rd party commissions, but they should know better.

1 Like

Hi Edoardo,
Have these plans materialized? Do you have Net Worth/All Accounts graph somewhere?

Hey I know this is quite oldā€¦ But I wanted to put my two cents inā€¦
Aggregation / Net worth is a ā€œgivenā€ feature as you said. Some people like to stare at how much money they have. I personally donā€™t find it sexy if it only shows me current number. Butā€¦ if I could compare my Net Worth 3 months ago to my current Net Worth. Or compare to 1 year agoā€¦ Now I could see if my budgeting / investing actually works. Compliance to budget is important. But we do it period by period. I would like to get a 10,000 foot view sometimes.

This is exactly what the graph on the Accounts tab gives me. I love how I can tap on the line and the number at the top changes. Brilliant idea. Line graph is exactly what I need.
If I could see this graph for ALL my accountsā€¦ Everyday/Savings/Investments - these groups make total sense. But it would be nice to have one more tab called ALL at the end. I would imagine it wouldnā€™t be too difficult to addā€¦

Btwā€¦ if you can extend that graph 3 month into the futureā€¦ I know. I have to stop myself. :slight_smile:

Not sure if youā€™ve seen it but we have the same kind of graph for Net Worth - just click Net Worth on the feed tab and you can do the same thing with tapping on the line.

Haha so the graph would show a forecasted balance for the next 3 months?

Yes, just tap on net worth.

Brilliant. Thank you!

Letā€™s dream together. I could imagine a dotted line going into the future. You have subscription data, paychecks for checking and credit cards. I did not include my mortgage in Emma yet. But I imagine you can provide interest / body repayment forecast. You even have history of last yearā€™s growth for investment accounts. Wellā€¦ Thatā€™s not given. Probably it is too risky to forecast investment accountsā€¦

I like the idea :bulb: I guess weā€™d just have to be very clear that it was just an estimate and that a lot of things could change - especially if we did it for investment accounts as you said!

Could be a really nice addition on the savings tab to go alongside our new savings goal feature :rocket:

Yeah. I find it inspiring to see where I was a year ago, where I am now and where I can be in a year from now. If I follow on that path. The left side of the curve kinda reassures me the right side will follow the same pattern. Presuming your pattern is going up. :grinning:

1 Like

I echo this totally.
I am this apparent 10% and downloaded it specifically for this purpose.
I actually donā€™t know what else I would uae it for tbh.

Honestly not sure why Xero doesnā€™t do this already tbhā€¦ But hey.