Yolt Pay (and payment initiation services in general)

What do you mean by “fully working and in production”? I used on Yolt and they look great.
It would be extremely useful if Emma could have them too.

Not all banks support payments on Open Banking, the APIs fail most of the times (we have tested) and we don’t see yet a specific use case.

It’s nice to initiate a payment from a third party app like Emma, but apart from that we don’t see the point yet.

If we had the ability to set standing orders, roundups, shuffle money without constant authorisation, that would lead to much nicer use cases for savings and investing.

In other words, we are watching the space and waiting for a bit - we don’t have any rush to integrate payments. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I objected to their KYC besides not being able to complete.
Deleted my profile and came over to Emma!

1 Like

Welcome home. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cannot do that as I use Yolt pay to move my money around so still sticking with both. The main reason I stay with Emma instead is the manual accounts (which they are missing)

Do you use their app for every payment?

Not for every payment but for moving my money between my accounts. I just find it convenient.

@diegor It’s not an either/or! I’ve been using both for ages. Yolt Pay is pretty convenient, but then Emma is much better for aggregation… Depends what you’re looking for, I suppose

2 Likes

Thanks, that sounds a nice use case. :slight_smile:

I was playing around with Yolt Pay and it’s definitely faster than Barclays.

3 Likes

Same here, Yolt Pay is somehow faster than the HSBC app so I have been using that for payments as well. It would be nice to have payments in Emma :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So you stop using yolt? :wink:

Well, that’s one of the only things I use Yolt for at the moment :smiley:

1 Like

This 100%. Even something as simple as… it’s pay day so take whatever I had left over from the previous pay and auto transfer it to my savings.

1 Like

I second this, if there could be some automation to action transfer between accounts on pay day based off budget, that would be incredible.

I.e. you budget on Emma £3500 for the month, you have £500 left over by pay day and you were paid £4000 - you could have £1000 automatically move to a savings account.

1 Like

I love that Lloyds (and I’m sure others) allow you to setup the ‘Save the change’ to drip feed small amounts of money into my savings. It is a good start to help me gather a little savings. But features like this need to be scaled up and customizable. And if the banks can’t be bothered to do it themselves then they should make it easier for 3rd-party apps do stuff like that. Obviously there are security concerns allowing 3rd-parties to do such things so maybe they could introduce a vetting system to put 3rd-parties onto a Whitelist of apps that are allowed to do it.

This was a feature I had planned for a personal finance app I built myself, but once I heard that you couldn’t automate transfers, I stopped focusing on the feature and continued implementing others.

1 Like

This would be awesome, however, I suspect banks wouldn’t allow this for both security reasons and because it provides them with no benefits. If we wanted this to be implemented across all banks, it would have to be a regulatory change :mailbox_with_mail: :receipt:

Monzo have now enabled Open Banking payments as part of their Monzo Labs. They call it Easy Bank Transfer, and it really is easy.

From the Monzo App, you select your Bank, the amount you want to add to your Monzo account and then the authorization is done via the other Bank’s App. Money arrives immediately (with a push notification confirming).

Santander’s process was identical to Yolt’s with all the “Are You Sure?” questioning discussed above, for just a single £5 transfer. HSBC auth was much quicker with less friction.

When Emma alerts me to a low balance in one of my accounts, and payments coming out that can’t be covered, it would be great to also offer the ability to move money between banks from within Emma.

Are Open Banking payments finally going to disintermediate the Banks. With this functionality, there are even fewer reasons for me to use any of my Banks’ Apps or online banking…

3 Likes

Yes, it’s in our roadmap - not working on it currently. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can’t wait for this to happen in Emma :pray:

2 Likes

Interested in whether the Monzo Plus launch today changes your roadmap for payment initiation (or any other features)? I am sure you anticipated this was coming from someone. Looks like Monzo included several features that are part of Emma Pro (custom categories, data export…) although personally not enough features there or connections yet to get me to pay £5 per month whilst I already have Emma Pro…

I expect Starling will follow soon with account aggregation (and if they don’t charge for it, it’s going to be game on!)