Swipe to change category/add note

Just thought I would share an idea to help make managing the transactions list a bit smoother.

As in email/messaging apps - swiping left/right on transactions to shortcut to a particular action. For me these would be change category and add notes. But perhaps this could be customised, others might prefer add to group/split/exclude etc.

At the moment all require a couple of clicks, and this would be a slick way to speed up the process.

5 Likes

Changing category is particularly tedious.

1. Open transaction
  2. Tap category dropdown
  3. Wait for Emma to find matching transactions (slooowly)
  4. Select new Category (list canā€™t be sorted and there are no favourites, so this can also take a while)
  5. Tap to acknowledge Category has been changed
  6. Go back automatically to Transaction screen (not feed)
  7. Tap back to feed

Hello @tom11 :wave:

Thatā€™s an interesting idea and one that weā€™ll definitely discuss within the team. Would it be helpful for additional actions to show as a drop down menu when you swipe or something you configure beforehand in the settings?

Hi @kia!

I think a drop down menu would clutter things a bit - so in settings!

The gesture Iā€™m thinking of is already in iOS mail/messages/notes/reminders etc so implementing it in the same way as these would be the most user friendly!

Couldnā€™t agree more. Itā€™s the main thing I do when in the app and the process has always seemed clunky.

Yeah I feel like sorting by ā€˜most recentā€™ would be the easy fix here. Seems silly having to scroll past ā€˜businessā€™ and ā€˜educationā€™ which I have never used, to get to transport right at the end which I use all the time.

We noticed this too and have an open ticket to fix it.

1 Like

For transaction editing, we have the advanced one (Emma Pro) that should is super fast.

Yeah, this definitely speeds things up. Swipe right to change single transactions - taking you straight to the category selection screen - would be great though tooā€¦ Probably needs a bit of thought to create a really slick experience :relaxed:

1 Like

The first time I saw this was in the N26 app. Itā€™s totally doable and a simple patter, we can definitely think about it.

I still think that maybe this could be also solved by ā€œTransactions to reviewā€.

I like this idea.

Personally, I think this screen below could be dropped if thereā€™s only one transaction being edited. Itā€™s an extra click for a user when they can see the change on the following screen anyways.

2 Likes

The original idea was to keep it the first few times and then drop it.

We thought the user should know the app learns from editing.

I agree itā€™s good the first few times (although itā€™s right at the bottom of the page well below the CTA), so do people read it?

I like the original idea.