Rolling budgets - Feedback

Would be interesting to hear what others in the thread think. But yes, I think so.

I think what would be simplest from user perspective is if you took most/all of what you have already built for month/pay-period view and simply allow us to view it from a year perspective as well.

So when you enter Analytics you are initially in month/pay-period view (the current view). Then you perform some action (tap a toggle, swipe left, whatever) and you enter the year view/layer.

The year view would basically be the same UI with maybe a colour difference to help you remember which view you are in.

Crucially, you should be able to flip between month/pay-period and year view instantly. It wouldn’t be like how reconfiguring budget period currently works. You would be giving us a secondary budgeting period/perspective. And it wouldn’t matter if they overlap/collide.

Also I think crucial the budget settings for the year view would be independent of the month view. So for example I might choose to set a groceries budget in month view but not in year view. I might choose to set a car maintenance budget in the year view but not in the month view. I might choose to set an investment budget in both.

Ideally the user would be able to configure the type of year view. Some might like a rolling year view (previous 12 months), some might like calendar year (start 1 Jan), some might like tax year (start 6 April in UK). I think I’d like tax year.

If you could give us even more views what might also be useful here is an ad-hoc view that could be used for things like vacations. For example if I go on a 10 day vacation I might want to set a budget for that and track it independent of my pay period and year budget/analytics.

You’ve spoke of a Spaces feature for accounts. The above could perhaps be conceived as a Spaces or Layers feature for budgeting/analytics