Rolling budgets/changing budgets

I am wondering if your spending changes too? Total budget is usually not an indication of your future income, but more your day to day spending. This is usually variable, but more or less on the same trend (unless there is a big purchase in the period).

To avoid any problems, we usually suggest to forget about income and just focus on the spend.

Hi guys, we have done an internal review and have decided to update this logic.

This is what currently happens in the app:

You have an initial budget of £50.
Week 1 - you spend £10 and have £40 left over
Week 2 - You have a budget of £90. You spend £10 and have £80 left over
Week 3 - You now have a budget of £160 ((£90 - £10) + (£80 left-over)

This is what we are going to change it to:

Week 1 - you spend £10 and have £40 left over
Week 2 - You have a budget of £90. You spend £10 and have £80 left over
Week 3 - You now have a budget £120 (your initial budget of £50 + the £80 you have left over)

I was wondering if you were happy with the change and add some feedback?

This makes way more sense!

£50 is always the underlying budget, the rollover amount is whatever is left over from previous month.

Great, waiting to hear a bit more feedback, but what we’d like to do is:

1. Change this logic with the proposed above
  2. Send a push at the beginning of each period to notify the user what budgets have rolled over - if it fits, we can even say by how much.

Is the push useful?

A push might be nice to see, I’m on the fence about it.

Speaking of push notifications though, what would be incredibly useful is a push notification to say when a particular spend will be automatically excluded in future, with the option to stop it happening. Would that be possible? I’ve been caught out a few times by not noticing when something has been auto-excluded that I didn’t want to.

We have been thinking about a “review transactions” kinda feature that might be a bit more useful, so you go back and check the ones you haven’t reviewed.

While reading the previous comments for this post I realized that developer lacks the basic understanding of how the real world scenarios works…

If I have $50 for X category every month and rollover on where I am saving for random expenses which could happen anytime in that category so 50 is my monthly contribution towards that future expenses. Now let’s save after 6 months where I haven’t yet spend a single penny from that budget so I have $300 but this month I thinks that the current inflation doesn’t cope up with my future expense and I need more saving may be $ 20 more every month means I want to change the monthly contribution to $70 now if go in Emma to change that it wipes off all my rollover saving and instead of just changing the monthly contribution amount it changes the total saved budget. This is simple ignorance from developer for more than year old post. People requested rollover budget for so long and what we got is just one dumb toggle button.

1 Like

Yes, this is another use case.

I think changing the logic is the first step.

The second would be having an option to change the underlying monthly contribution.

I have put a ticket in for the first, so we can prioritize and release quickly.

I am still waiting for the ability to assign rolling budgets to specific categories, so I can decide what is fixed cost and what is variable

Hey guys,

we are close to releasing a set of changes to budgets and rolling budgets.

First of all, we have done some improvements when you save a budget, this should have made the process faster and already removed 80% of the issues. Rolling budgets now should roll correctly.

Second, we are going to make the rolled amount visible across the app, so you know how much of this month’s budget is coming from previous months. You can see an early design here:

You will also be able to see what it’s rolling from this screen and clear “the rolled amount”.

1 Like

Great does this allow for category specific rolling budgets now. So lets sat eating out is a rolling budget but bills is fixes budget.

Also would a negative budget be able to roll over too so its coming to Christmas i will be overspending my shopping budget but if i can roll that total to the next few months i can then see when i would next be able to spend on shopping. Example

Budget for shopping: £100
Dec: £150 over spent
Jan budget now : -£50
Feb budget now: £50
Mar budget: back to £100

Then having this as category specific would be great too

Greater visibility could be good. I’ll hold judgement until the update is released to see if it solves the issues I raised.

This we haven’t included yet.

We prefer to have them all rolling otherwise it impacts the total budget. You could have a total budget of £100 and a rolling category budget of £1000.

This we can look into adding.

1 Like

The core issue was in the way we were saving the budgets, the logic was working perfectly fine, so some people might already see improvements.

The visible rolling amounts should give way better clarity, so you know what’s going on.

@edoardomoreni The rolling budgets work better, thanks. One thing I noticed is that in the category budgets view - it shows up as part of the total budget allocated to categories. Say I have actually allocated 800/1000 budget for the month it shows be 1100/1000 because of the 300 that rolled over.

There should be away to separate this in the total and specify that I am at 800/1000 allocation and separately 300 is rolling over. Thanks

1 Like

Any chance you can share a screenshot with an example? or point us at the numbers :slight_smile:

Sure. In the screenshots below - you can see some categories that are rolling Fitness, Hair & Luxury, etc My entire rolled budget from december into januaryamounts to 259. The total budget I’ve allocated in the month of jan is 2920/3000 but it shows the total at the top of category budget as 3179/3000 which including the rolling budgets (of 259) that rolled over for last month. This means I don’t know the actual amount i can still allocate out of my 3k budget.
@edoardomoreni