Phone upgrades - Contract or buy?

I have the opposite problem. I bought a new phone honor 8x but not sure how to dispose of the old Samsung s5. I would like to give it away but I am concerned it would be taken wrongly. Some one suggested Facebook marketplace. But I don’t know = I know a family where the man has deserted and I feel so sorry for the girl who is having her school prom. But the family has no money. Trouble is it could be taken the wrong way.

1 Like

Have it recycled probably the easiest option

1 Like

It is tough to take such a big hit in one go, but just know you’re saving money in the long run. If it were me I’d buy a phone on eBay and then pay with PayPal credit where you can get 0% interest for 4 months on £99+, at least that way the hit is a little spread out. Apple’s financing options with Barclay’s aren’t bad, 0% for up to a year, but then you’re paying the premium to buying direct from Apple - could be an option though!

1 Like

Yeah that is true, I know long run it is worth it but it takes ages for me to save £1K so to I feel a bit begrudged to spend it at once on a phone haha.

I did look into apple’s finance options and I definitely will still consider it. I already have a couple of things on finance though so I don’t want to get too carried away ahah!

I have to say this forum has done wonders to my financial knowledge it’s crazy how much you can learn!

It’s a scary rabbit hole, leave while you can!

3 Likes

I agree, I buy my phones from China and take all the risks that comes with - not a strategy I’d recommend, but it does save so much money.

I agree, I’ve learnt a lot since being here! This is the only fintech forum I partake in as it’s the best! :innocent:

1 Like

haha, luckily enough it’s my job so I can learn for days :joy:

1 Like

Yeah I would be the person who does that and gets set a picture of the new iPhone instead of the real thing!
haha

Thanks so much really happy you think so! Can I ask what you like about this forum compare to other forums? It would be great feedback so we can make everyones experiences just as great.

1 Like

There’s always that slight nervousness when the parcel arrives just in case!

I lurked here for a good while before signing up to gauge what this forum was about and whether it was of interest to me. I’ve lurked around a few other fintech forums as well but never got tempted to actually sign up and join in.

For me personally, I think the two overriding things that I love about this forum and Emma in general, is the engagement and transparency. I love the fact that it’s very community orientated. Clearly you’ve got a great product, and a lot of smart people using it, and it’s great to see that constant interaction between staff and users - it feels good as a customer to know that you guys listen and take on board all of the suggestions people come up with.

Secondly, I really like the fact that other fintechs and even competitors are discussed openly on this forum - like the ‘Best budgeting apps’ thread. It’s completely transparent, and it feels that instead of pretending your competitors don’t exist and shutting down any mention of their name, as a company you’re open to discussing them and highlighting why Emma is better! I respect that approach a lot :smiley:

2 Likes

Which other forums did you look at?

Thank you so much for this great feedback, it’s great to hear that people appreciate this forum. We are always open to feedback from users in regards to Emma and we are confident that we are building a great product so have no problem talking about other products.

We are glad to have you as part of our community so keep the ideas coming!

1 Like

Mainly Curve, Revolut, and Monzo’s forums! Yolt recently created a community group on Facebook which I joined, but more for curiosity than anything else. I used to browse Curve and Monzo regularly, but now I visit them occasionally, whereas I frequent Emma pretty much daily!

1 Like

That’s what I like to hear! :rofl:

2 Likes

I was on the starling forum until it closed. I learned abt Emma from there. I use Emma forum every day and learned loads. I also help people on the bowel cancer forum but don’t that for years. The Emma forum is getting more and more interesting and informative xx
Hans

1 Like

I go on here every day and would like to contribute more.
Emma Forum balances Emma App to give loads of advice and help to personal finances. The only people who don’t need it are the big time lottery winners

1 Like

Just a kind thought @lilli there is an amazon prime day soon. I bet they have offers on phones.

Hey @Hans

My dad mentioned that to me this week! There are a few things I want to order on amazon so I will definitely check it out.

Thanks for thinking of me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Tbh Lilli, most phones are fairly similar so no need to get an expensive one. I just followed amazon recommendations. Anyway, good luck x
Hans

1 Like

Remember to get one with NFC if you’re looking on Amazon or you’re going to be locked out of Google Pay

My friend didn’t do this recently and it burned him pretty hard when he forgot his wallet :joy:

2 Likes

Yes that’s true. NFC is a must

1 Like

Definitely a must for me.

I’m hoping that Apple open their NFC up with iOS 13 so Fidesmo can bring their app to the App Store.

After they do that hopefully a UK bank integrates so I can get a payment implant :heart_eyes:

2 Likes