Phone upgrades - Contract or buy?

This sounds great although tbh I am not bothered about getting the latest iphone every year I normally have mine for a couple of years, so if i were to pay 61 a month plus a phone phone contract I would be paying way more each month :face_with_monocle:

Definitely something worth thinking about though, thank you for the tips!

1 Like

Oh wow Emma gave you a lappy free. Yea busy here and noisy with kids crying and music. Still I like the environment # full of goings on and drama and the shopping! I really couldn’t live with just one laptop!
Hans

1 Like

I would recommend Vodafone after their recent pricing change @lilli

See here

Pair that with buying your phone outright - can’t get much better. I think Vodafone also support eSIM so you could potentially dual network wield as well if you needed a Lebara SIM or similar to call abroad maybe. You could also get an Apple Watch that way I believe.

I’d personally recommend an XR over an XS/XS Max should you be sticking with iPhone. Others are overpriced to hell

1 Like

Oooo Vodafones contract looks good. Unlimited for £23 that is a lot better than what I pay now. I don’t even have unlimited data!

They mention what kind of usage you’d be expecting to do on each though - that’s the important bit!

Tbh I use asda mobile £7 a month pay as you go giving 2gb data 700 minutes. I also have a O2 sim which I use occasionally and costs about £4 a year pay as you go. 3p a minute. Its handy as it’s on a really old phone that won’t break in a fall and good for biking and running xx

That is the cheapest phone contract I have ever heard of although I think I saw someone doing £5! Unfortunately, I use a lot more internet than 2gb :frowning:

I have a £20.50 a month SIMO with O2 (12 months finishing in November)

20GB 4G EU + O2 Zone roaming (US, Canada, NZ, Aus)

1 Like

I didn’t even know people offered 12 month contracts anymore lol

With O2 you can have phones themselves on 12 months (they call it a flexible contract, you can choose between 3-36 months)

Ah I thought most people only offered 24 months now

For full disclosure by the way @lilli I have a little money invested into Vodafone :joy: purely because of their recent pricing changes, I might make the switch after this SIMO is up!

1 Like

haha. My landlord came round to my flat and he is with Vodafone. His signal was perfect and I’m with ee and I can’t get more than one bar of signal in my flat so I was thinking of changing anyway!

1 Like

Hi Lilli have a look at asda mobile and also tesco. I work for asda but don’t get discount on data. But £10 a month gives 4gb a month with 70 minutes. The world is Yr oyster
Xx Hans

1 Like

Hey Hans

Unfortunately this job revolves around internet and minutes and I use an average of 1000 plus minutes ( I don’t know how) each month. But I will definitely check them out and see if they have anything available!

Thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey Lilli, be careful with that Vodafone contract - they cap the speeds at 2Mbps which is awfully slow (and shocking that they simultaneously advertise the benefits of 5G, but you won’t get any of them with their capping). The only contract they offer with unlimited everything without capping is £30 per month.

How’s your Three signal where you live? If you’re not sure you can order a free sim and use 200MB of data to run a speed test or two. Until 16th July Smarty (they’re an MVNO owned by the same folks as Three) are offering a 30-day rolling sim where you’ll pay £18.75 per month for unlimited everything - if your signal is good it’s a steal for truly unlimited. That being said, you get less of the perks than with Three directly, who’s sims are a bit more expensive but maybe the benefits are worth it for roaming in Europe etc. Three are doing a 24-month sim for £22 a month, first 6 months are half price, works out as the equivalent of £19.25 per month but you’re tied into a 2 year contract, whereas with Smarty you can leave at any point as it’s a 30-day rolling sim!

Finally, if Vodafone is good in your area you could consider Voxi (MVNO owned by Vodafone), I actually switched recently from a 60gb virgin mobile contract to Voxi’s £10 8gb sim with endless social data, so any data you use on the major social media platforms doesn’t eat into your data allowance - despite me previously having a way higher allowance I get by with 8gb for general browsing then unlimited social data - not bad for £10 a month, and I find there speeds are better than Three’s for where I am in London!

Hope this gives you a few more things to think on!

1 Like

Ah that’s interesting I was wondering about speeds.

I think my bf is with three and he struggles to get any signal in our flat as well.

Voxi sounds interesting. I am still on the fence about whether to get a phone and just buy a cheap contract I know it will save me money in the long run but the thought of throwing down that much money at once scares me!

This is really helpful thanks for giving me the head up @Mudlark

1 Like

Lots of choices there. And I thought asda was a bargain!!

2 Likes

What’s where they get you Lilli, you don’t want to commit to £750-1k down up front but you’re fine to commit to a smaller amount but still not negligible for 2-3 years - it confuses me :joy:

I KNOW its ridiculous isn’t it! :roll_eyes:

1 Like