Net Worth Forecasting

Sorry, isn’t net worth at such a basic level basically just cash and investments minus debts?

1 Like

Yes and no. It can also include non financial assets as well. :sweat_smile:

It can become a bit messy, but definitely an idea. :slight_smile:

I agree with Dan’s idea.

Hi, It will benefit users a lot if the top section of ‘Feed’ tab can provide a consolidated summery (highlighting overall net worth) for all accounts ( savings, current as well as loan) as a single figure. I see that this has been requested by a number of other users too. Another feature could be to mark individual Account eligible (or otherwise) for considering for Net worth calculation.

Can this be prioritized for development?

Thanks.

2 Likes

Hey @tuscanoj, thanks for your feedback! We have got this in the pipeline, but don’t have an official date yet. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Net Worth is my most wanted feature.

In order to implement it properly I would need the ability to manually enter an asset and it’s current value. This could work exactly as the Loans functionality does. E.G. I own my house and it is currently valued at £300,000. I can record this as an asset.

Forecasting for me is of secondary importance but important nonetheless

2 Likes

Hiya @liamfoneill :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

Quick question, what would you use your net worth for other than just for reference?

Motivation mainly! Seeing the value (hopefully) increase overtime should encourage one to save more etc…

2 Likes

@edoardomoreni pro feature? :man_shrugging:

If we get the integrations that have been asked for then this will go a long way towards this thread and is the first step in achieving this. The forecasting can come from the AI that can be developed on these integrated balances

One step at a time. We have some investment managers integrated and could do with a lot more and with Emma making it more public on what is moving etc then we as customers can see what is happening. At the moment Emma is keeping us in the dark on progress on integrations

It’s also true that most of this money is fixed. As in, there aren’t many transactions in and out, so a manual account can help a lot. :slight_smile:

I don’t think you need “AI” to release this. Once net worth is a number available in the app (there are sums per category but I still need to add them up). E.g. add a “net worth” tab to the left of “Everyday”, “Savings”,…
The forecast would then just be that number + the Monthly average of (income-expenses) of the automated feeds. A higher weight could be given to recent months .
To add to that, it’s quite annoying that the graphs for balances of the manual accounts aren’t correct. It looks like the history of the manual transactions isn’t saved (especially important for the investment accounts)

This would be perfect! Even if just based on linked accounts cash vs debts.

1 Like

Shouldn’t forecasting include projected spending (“subscriptions” - aka bills) and income? Otherwise the net worth picture would only show past up to present.

Any update from the Emma team on the forecasting tool? The addition of the current net worth has been hugely appreciated :ok_hand:

1 Like

That’s quite cool.

Do you use any apps / tools that forecast net worth?

We have built this so far, which is more of a prank, but can defo extend the logic behind it.

I just use an Excel tool that takes my current salary and deducts my projected budget for the upcoming year and adds the result to my current net worth.

I also have a second layer to that where I can input an expected return for investments (say 7% for a fund investment account, 1% on a savings account etc.)

There would be value in just the first part though I would say, which should be relatively simple to calculate.

Another method that I imagine would be popular too would be to sum your past annual average expenses as opposed to your upcoming budgeted ones.

1 Like

How could you see this working in the app? Like a summary or table/graph that said your net worth in 1, 2, 3 years will be X, or more like a calculator with space to add expected returns/ number of years etc?

I think a calculator would be cool, you would then be able to play around with the inputs and see the impact of the changes. If it didn’t allow you to change them it would have to make assumptions that are probably wrong in many cases. E.g. for income you could use average over the last year, last month’s income or your new salary after a raise (the app wouldn’t know about the last one unless you could input it). Then for expenses you could see it based on your current budget, your actual expenses over the last X months, or an adjustment up or down to either of these.