Emma on the Mac App Store

Hello everyone,

my current company gave me an M1 Macbook and it’s now possible to list the iOS apps on the Mac App Store.
I installed apps such as Headspace or OLIO and also my company app. It’s usually a matter of thicking an option on Xcode, no other changes required.

The app does not need to have an iPad version and does not need to be massively responsive as the iPhone apps keep the iPhone aspect ratio.

I thought that having Emma on the Mac would be really useful. Actually, it was the first app I looked up. Maybe it’s just me and the user base is, of course, super tiny (although it will grow in the future), but I wanted to share the idea.

Thank you for the great work Emma Team!

2 Likes

Yes, we have seen this.

I think it makes sense to wait for an iPad app? I have tried a few and they don’t look great on the M1.

2 Likes

Probably, but I imagine lots of people would like an Emma app on their iPads too (so something you could build in the future, hopefully)!

2 Likes

This would be great!

1 Like

Or maybe just web access?

3 Likes

Yes,

Web is in our roadmap! :eyes:

3 Likes

I don’t really care if there’s an iPad version or not, it would be nice to be able to access Emma from my laptop. I think most people understand that they are installing an iPhone app on their computer if they’re doing this and won’t fault you.

This is easier since iPad apps are Mac-compatible.

What do you mean by only iPad Apps are Mac Silicone compatible?

Developer documentation here talks about enabling iPhone and iPad apps to be available on the Mac App Store.

I understand you might mean that iPad apps would be easier to use on Mac, but I’m saying that I don’t really care. I’d rather have a semi-functional iPhone app on my laptop than nothing at all.

For example, the Qatar Airways app is iPhone only without iPad support, but allows Mac Silicone installation.

Also why not get your developers to have some Auto Layout fun and make the app iPad compatible before continuing to add new features? The more features you add without this support, the more refactoring you’re going to have to go back and do if you’re not setting constraints properly for larger screen sizes.

We are not really adding any features at this point. :slight_smile:

They are making some design changes that will be rolled out soon to be able to render the app on iPad and web later on.

Good to hear!

The change in question is this: https://twitter.com/emma_finance/status/1705232586346287335

We are going to remove purple headers so we can make the app work on bigger screens.

Just to circle back, and confirm…you’re saying that you’ll make 0 reconsideration of enabling the iOS app for Mac Silicon?

For iPhone, I don’t think so. We are going to release an iPad version for Mac.