Best budgeting apps

Oh, the irony.

Capital One because it needs to re-authenticate via text everyday which is annoying but this morning it just hasn’t been able to connect at all.

Aside from that, they all work which is great!

Yes, I think we are having an issue on Capital One.

The problem with Connected Money is they haven’t released the Android version yet, and they keep letting their community down with false promises.

1 Like

Do they even have a community? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

On Facebook there is a HSBC Conned Money Groip run by HSBC. They haven’t updated the group in weeks.

I use You Need A Budget (YNAB.) My version is the old ‘buy once’ version which syncs with Dropbox across all my devices. It changed my life. The only downside is that you have to either manually input all transactions (I find this helps with getting a hold of my true spending) or importing the exported statements from banks/cards.

I do not believe you can get the standalone version anymore, they now operate a subscription model for their new version, however it is still great. There are automatic syncs with banks, but it is for US banks only. It means you’d still have to manually sync your transactions.

The reporting and features of this mean it is probably the best out there, but no auto-sync in the UK is its only letdown.

3 Likes

It would be great to have a YNAB Discussion & Feedback thread in Fintech chat with some screenshots. I have tried to use it for a few days and got lost. :upside_down_face:

It is fairly user friendly, but I can’t help with the new version unfortunately, otherwise I’d be happy to contribute.

I find that mobile-based apps do not give enough functionality in terms of true budgeting that a desktop app does. I am more thorough with my budgeting however, so I’m sure the mobile budgeting format will work for most.

HomeBank is a freeware budgeting app that works well also. Worth a look.

1 Like

Has anyone tried Spendee or any american app?

I use Spendee, (can’t remember if I have mentioned this already) the budgeting features they have are amazing. I can very quickly categorise spend and budget over different time periods. For example clothing isn’t budgeted monthly as I don’t buy clothes every month. I budget this as a yearly figure. I then budget food shopping monthly etc. You can also add people to certain budgets, which for me isn’t useful but I can imagine families will use this.

This kind of budgeting capability would be extremely handy!

1 Like

Do you pay for the premium?

Yeah I pay 12.99 a year for basic which is more than enough for me.

1 Like

How did you hear about it?

I’m another Moneyhub user. Not a huge fan of the app as it’s mostly just a wrapper for their website but it certainly does what it needs to.

1 Like

Can you open a MoneyHub Discussion & Feedback thread? It would be great to see some screenshots, if they have scramble mode. I have never used it. :slight_smile:

It was a long process I searched through the App Store, I downloaded a few and had a look at which one I wanted to give a go at. I settled on spendee mostly because it looked quite clean and easy to use. It’s also very customisable in terms of budget periods and pay period. After using them for a couple of months I upgraded to get access to more budgeting and ability to add more wallets.

Have to agree 100%…YNAB Is very difficult to beat in its methodology… I’m a user of 5 years and do subscribe, I can’t find anything to beat it. If they would add UK auto sync then that would be it…unbeatable.

I really like Emma and its quirkiness… great to quickly view accounts etc but still needswork, especially around budgeting to beat ynab… hopefully it will get there…keep up the good work Emma…

2 Likes

Yeah, but it’s so niche. I would never see the majority of population using it. :wink:

Like I have tried and get confused every now and then.

Are there enough people on this community yet to have a meaningful poll? Let’s try…

If Emma didn’t exist, which app would you use as a primary replacement?

• Bankin
  • Cleo
  • Money DashBoard
  • MoneyHub
  • Spendee
  • Tandem
  • Yolt
  • YNAB
  • Aggregation/budgeting/tracking tools provided by your bank (e.g. HSBC Connected Money)
  • Other

0 voters