We Are Crowdfunding!

Dear friends,

Since the very first day, we have built Emma thanks to your invaluable feedback.

Emma customers have always been at the heart of our business with tens of thousands of feature requests, suggestions and ideas. After all we have achieved together, we want to give you the opportunity to jump onboard and share this journey with us.

That’s why we’re thrilled to announce that we’re crowdfunding for the first time ever!

This is your chance to join us and own shares in one of the UK’s fastest growing fintech startups.

We have allocated a limited number of shares, so make sure you register to get priority access before our crowdfunding goes live to the general public!

It’s always been our plan to give our customers the chance to own part of Emma and we feel now is a great time to let you share and shape our future by investing alongside top VC firms and investors.

Our Success So Far

:rocket: 500% YoY growth
:couple: Over 600k Emma customers
:bar_chart: £50bn in transactions analysed
:business_suit_levitating: Raised from the same VCs as Curve, Transferwise and CityMapper

Our Plans For The Future

In 2019, we launched in the United States & Canada, and now we are set to bring Emma all over Europe. By the end of the year, we’ll target 1 million customers and plan to roll out an exciting set of new features. We are now crowdfunding to supercharge growth and execute on our product roadmap. Our success is all down to you. Together, we can build the control center for your money.

Next Steps

We wouldn’t want any of our Community members to miss out, so if you’d like to invest in Emma you can pre-register now for priority access.

Thank you!

We want to thank each and every one of you for your continued support: our beta testers, community members, and all our customers. Your feedback and suggestions have directly contributed to our growth, and we wouldn’t be where we are today without you!

If you’ve got any questions about this crowdfunding round, check the FAQ or drop us a message below. :point_down:

Link to pre-registration: HERE

Capital at risk.

What is Equity Crowdfunding?

When you invest in equity you buy a percentage or share of a business. Hopefully the business you have backed goes on to make an ‘exit’ (by floating on the stock market or via a sale to another company) at a higher value than when you invested, and you will get a return on your investment and make a profit.

Just remember that investing in a startup business carries significant risks, including illiquidity, lack of dividends, loss of your investment and dilution. You can read more about these risks on the Crowdcube website.

Who are Crowdcube?

Crowdcube is a platform which enables businesses to attract investment from professionals and venture capital firms, as well as from everyday investors. They have facilitated crowdfunding raises for Monzo, Revolut, BrewDog, Freetrade and more. Learn more about Crowdcube here.

I registered my interest, what happens next?

Thanks for registering! We will be in touch with you over the next few days with more information on our crowd raise, including our live date.

When will the campaign go live?

The campaign will go live on Tuesday 8th June. Register on this page to be sent our private crowdfund live link.

Who can invest?

You must be over 18 years old and legally entitled to invest. You’ll also need to be a resident of the UK or a country where you may legally receive financial promotions of the nature provided. Investors from the US, Canada, or Japan are unfortunately NOT able to invest due to local restrictions. See more details on the Crowdcube website. You will need to be a Crowdcube member to invest – sign up on their website here.

How can I invest?

To invest in the Emma crowdfunding, you must sign up to Crowdcube on their website. Once you’ve signed up and the Emma crowdfunding round has opened, you’ll be able to invest via the Crowdcube website. Your money will not be taken until the round has officially closed and the cooling-off period has ended.

How much can I invest?

Any investment caps will be displayed on the Emma investment page on the Crowdcube website once the crowdfunding is live.

Who else has invested in Emma?

Emma has raised £2.5m in funding from Connect Ventures, Aglae Ventures and Kima Ventures. We have also received investment from the founders of Nutmeg, Kapten, Voodoo and Zenly.

Can I sell or transfer my shares?

Emma is a private company, which means it doesn’t trade on a stock exchange. This means you can only sell Emma shares when a ‘liquidity event’ occurs. A liquidity event occurs when the company is sold or chooses to list on a stock exchange. To make a return, Emma would need to enter a ‘liquidity event’ where its shares are valued at a higher value than when you invested, making you a return on your investment. Please be aware, investments of this nature carry risks to your capital.

Additionally, Crowdcube has recently announced their secondary market offering, Cubex.

Is this an EIS investment?

Yes, this is an EIS investment. You can find more info here.

14 Likes

Waaahoo :rocket:

Let us know if you’ve signed up for pre-registration already :raised_hands:

2 Likes

Word is out :eyes: Have you seen our home page takeover on Crowdcube ?

2 Likes

Yup… exciting… you might just pop my investment cherry :cherries::joy:

3 Likes

Did it the second I got the email!

2 Likes

Haha amazing, we feel special now :rofl:

Let us know if you have any questions about how it all works!

1 Like

Love this!! Thank you :pray:

Have you signed up to the Crowdcube website too?

1 Like

Yeah, just waiting for the email with the link now

2 Likes

Before I look, is this going to have a lot more detail than Curve’s crowdfunding did? It was shockingly useless for anyone who cares about their money

Like, without financials, future plans for what’s going on (what the money is being used for) etc

1 Like

Looking for more reasons to invest in Emma? :rocket:

Here’s a snapshot of our success so far:

:star: 500% YoY growth
:star: 600k customers
:star: £100bn worth of user transactions analysed to date
:star: #2 top-grossing finance app on the app store

As mentioned by @antonio here!

Yes,

Of course we are going to publish everything. :pray:

I’m glad to hear, Curve’s was very, very disappointing.

I also don’t know how their business model can actually provide any return for investors, I like to call it OPM syndrome. It’s acquired by tech founders who run off of “other people’s money” and it means:

1. money is burned at a very quick rate, quicker than it should be
  2. there’s no idea on how to edge towards profitability
  3. there’s generally no actual USP in reality that makes too much sense

I do have a question though: 70m people in the U.K., why are you going to Europe with so much potential growth left here? Is it trivially easy to do? If it is, why haven’t you done so already?

1 Like

Do you mean the 2019 round or the current one (https://www.crowdcube.com/companies/curve/pitches/Z1X1gl)? I have checked their deck and it seemed okay. :slight_smile:

We want to build a product that is able to connect to any bank from anywhere. This is not complex for us due to PSD2, so banks in Italy, Spain, France are all providing access to the accounts.

2 Likes

I haven’t looked at the current one, maybe they’ve done better this time

1 Like

Yes, they learned from the past and it’s going pretty well.

What are they at now? 180% of funding target?

More like 900%. :laughing:

1 Like

Does France/Italy etc follow via the Open Banking standard like we see in the U.K. or is it just access that’s provided somehow (I believe PSD2 requires access to payment accounts (credit cards, current accounts) but doesn’t specify how)

Also there are quite w few European countries not using EUR, do they have different systems if it is the case that it’s standardised across euro country accounts?

Do you know if most banks across the EEA are going to be supporting non-payment accounts? I know banks here (Barclays/HSBC) have said that the expected cost was way over budget and that Nationwide requested smaller banks/building societies to bear some burden of cost

Also, aren’t you competing with ING Groep, in this exact market? Via Yolt; they are a massive banking operation stretching across several wealthy EEA countries, aren’t they already entrenched in this market? What’s Emma’s USP and how will Emma overcome inertia

There are simply other regulators and bodies, but the law and principles are the same.

Each country has its own regulatory body that needs to enforce the EU law.

We don’t have any news yet, our plan is to build at least one savings account in Emma and offer a wide range of products, so we are not dependant on banks.

Yolt pivoted in a debit card in the UK and it’s slowly dying. :frowning:

2 Likes