Transaction Search

I think more people would notice search if it was always there, no matter which screen you’re on. Search is useful in a variety of situations, so you could be on any screen and need it.

As a new user, I’m not sure I’d think to have to go to the accounts tab to find search. There’s no clear logical connection between search and accounts, anymore than analytics and search, or the what did I spend card (which has the word search in it, but isn’t search?!?).

I think it’s just confusing. There’s room to put it at the top left of every tab, except the more tab.

1 Like

We can make it free and I think it’s fundamental.

At first we also wanted to do a bit of language processing to like “Give me all the transactions in December for Groceries”. This is doable too and we’ll make it done; we just need to prioritise a few things.

I agree it’s hidden and maybe at first the thought was “you are searching your accounts”?

We could even place it in Feed, on the top right corner. I am just not sure if it’s that important to be the first feature you see?

I think a really well fleshed out search is more useful than you think. If you think about the analytics tab is basically a search of transactions across that payday period, with some summary figures and calculations added to the mix.

If you could include these summaries & calculations in a search result, you effectively have a custom analytics mode, where you can filter by a range of different fields. Add in saved searches, and you can have easy access to a review of your finances over the last 3 months, year, or whatever you choose.

Commonly used searches could be provided as examples, e.g. search all transactions above x value, would highlight your biggest spends. This could help people see the benefit of searches and understand why it’s useful.

5 Likes

Totally agree.

We are huge fans of the Monzo ones. That is really good.

We shipped it in January really quickly, but we have plans to iterate and build rules on top.

2 Likes

Hey guys,

we are finally building this and it would be great to hear feedback/ideas - we want to make it the most powerful out there. :wink:

3 Likes

My main feedback remains the same as opening post.

But on top of this I’ve just noticed the current search does not search your details field - which seems to be where you put bank transfer references. This field should be included in what is searched.

1 Like

A spotlight search for Emma transactions would be awesome !

This is coming:

2 Likes

Looks awesome :wink: as a suggestion could we have a little Emma advocate who could possibly create a thread to put those posts on here :wink:

Looks good.

It’s not intuitively obvious to me what some of the modifier/filter icons (I assume that’s what they are) above the keyboard represent, but maybe it becomes obvious upon first use.

1 Like

Categories, Merchants, Tags, £< and £>, Has Receipts + Calendar.

1 Like

I haven’t even found this feature yet! Am I being very dim?

I don’t think it’s been released yet. My comment was based on Twitter screenshots which I think reflects something that’s being worked on

3 Likes

Yup, we are testing - everything is ready.

How about ability to filter by account and/or account provider?

1 Like

This is super nice and definitely coming. :wink:

1 Like

Hi, I love the search facility in the Transaction view, it’s neat how you can build up a filter using the different criteria.

However, what would make it great would be two extra tweaks:

1. When you are selecting a #tag to search for, can the list you are shown to choose the tag(s) be filtered to only those used in the Categor(ies) you have also selected (if any). If you haven’t selected a category, then it’s like it is now - all tags - but if you have selected one or more categories, then only show the tags used in those categories transactions.

Oh, and could the list be in alphabetical order.

1. Please show a total for all the transactions that have come back in the search. It’s very handy to say show me all my ‘Clothes’ category transactions, ‘This year’, with a tag ‘#Martin’ and see how much had been spent.

Thanks

1 Like

This sounds more subcategories? :slight_smile:

I guess it is effectively sub-categories, but more powerful, because you can have multiple tags under a category. So I can see ‘all clothes’ spend, or I can see ‘all clothes’ #martin spend ‘for the year’, or I can see ‘all clothes’ #martin and #work spend or ‘all clothes’ #daniel #school-uniform or ‘all clothes’ #ruby #school-uniform or ‘all clothes’ #school-uniform to show all school uniform clothes, etc., etc… Can you see how useful/powerful this would be?

It already has this functionality, however, you have to scroll through a very long list of unsorted tags to find the one you want, as well as know what you’re looking for. It would just be great if the app pre-filtered the tags for you?

Without filtering the tags, when you have picked a category, it’s arguably pointless showing me all the tags, when 95% of them won’t return any data, so why not be smart and only show me tags that are applicable within the selected category/categories (and period if you want to be even smarter?)? I don’t think there would be much work involved in providing this?

1 Like