The Save Money Tab

I hardly notice it!

It’s a pretty blunt tool at the moment, but hopefully that will change.

I think there’s a conflict in that Pro users are probably more likely to have done these savings steps already and are paying as well, so the Savings tab seems doubly redundant/pushy.

Yeah, this was my feeling after a few weeks.

This is true, but also true that we are building Emma for millions of people (mass adoption), which is very different from lots of our early users who know everything about savings, pensions, investing and any other finance vertical. :wink:

2 Likes

The Emma Quiz is the most used feature.

1 Like

I really like this new tab! Much less intrusive AND more functional than the previous setup. Best of both worlds! And actually, I’m about to sign up with Nutmeg as a result, whereas last time I found that there wasn’t really a clear overview of what was available so I had missed this offer. Good work! :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Agree that many pro users will have done these steps already, but disagree that the tab is pushy. I think it’s much more subtle and less intrusive than having it in the feed actually. It’s there if you’re interested, if not you just ignore it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like the idea of giving options to the user. I am an engineer myself and I always prefer giving feature rich apps to the end user in addition to giving user an opportunity to disable anything they are not Interested in.
I myself am a Pro user and I only use Emma because it is a very Smart, functional app. I feel the save tab, invite new friends into Emma, gummy bears are intrusive for me and my experience. Is there a way you can give me a option to disable them and only enable them if I want ?? It makes no sense for me to have those staring at me when I don’t use them at all.

Thanks
Uday

1 Like

Welcome to the community @Uvallabha

I have a very different view on this, likely given my biased perspective as an entrepreneur and cofounder of Emma. As a company or product designer, when you give the user control to just hide entire screens of the app, it just means you are giving up. You are giving up on the aspiration that your team is going to build the best-in-category ecosystem, products and features that people want to use and that are in line with the company’s mission.

Let me give you a tangible example: I mainly use Revolut only when I’m abroad to benefit from the good FX rates, yet every time I open the app I also see tabs for savings/investment services (and I can’t hide them). The job of the team at Revolut, if they want to become even more successful that they already are, is not to let me hide those tabs because some users are annoyed. Their job is to find a magical way (either through better interest or functionality) to make me want to take all the savings I have on Marcus and put them into a Revolut Vault. It’s a win-win for both the company and the customers: I get a better interest on my savings and they get a customer more locked-in their ecosystem. You could make analogous examples for their friend payments feature, their premium plans, etc.

(replace Revolut with the name of your favourite challenger bank and the example still holds)

1 Like

Just updated the app and have found the save money tab. I was about to start the Nutmeg registration but after talking to a friend who is a financial adviser she commented that there is usually an inducement involved and if you offer investment products then you have to be regulated or have permissions to offer them.
Anyone have a view on this

Those T&Cs are for Nutmeg retail customers referring their friends to Nutmeg. Emma isn’t a customer of Nutmeg so not sure how the friends referral T&Cs would work.
I just want to know if there is an inducement where is it disclosed on Emma.

To me this Change and the gummies are all symptomatic of an unfocused product that’s clutching at anything to make money.

I won’t be renewing my subscription at this rate. What was a great, helpful and cutesy app has now become messy, crammed in, noisy and unfocused. It’s terribly sad.

It also screams of a feature led top down approach rather than learning from their users. (And before anyone says it a forum is not a good method to learn from users, check out amazon, apple and google… do they rely on a “community”? And then look at companies that do “giffgaff, brave” there’s good and bad ways to make apps… this is clearly turning bad quite rapidly.

2 Likes

I hate to say, I agree with Sivnkya. I love Emma, it has transformed how quickly I’m able to manage our finances instead of my crazy Google Sheet and checking numerous accounts.

If Emma is struggling to profit, I’d be happy to pay a higher premium to opt out of the affiliate ads and gummy bears. I’d rather invest in the platform for improving features like matching up committed spend with new transactions as they occur, this always seems to go wobbly at the beginning of a month.

3 Likes

It’s not.

We are working on this. :slight_smile: