Sub-categories in pro

Yeah that makes sense!

I could see myself keeping the category budgets I’ve already set and then using that number to split the money out for sub cats

Other than a 12 month total summary by category, are there any other key things you’d want to see?

Hi Edoardo,
I’d also love to have sub-categories for family finances, my wife loves the subcategories and I love the macro categories. Where is this on your roadmap so we can decide how we make a work around?

Hey @luke-ldw888, it’s all here: Notion – The all-in-one workspace for your notes, tasks, wikis, and databases.

We have decided to postpone this for a bit, but we should be able to implement it in the short term. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, @edoardomoreni. Are people able to upvote/downvote features?
Or pay a donation to have features accelerated?

Web view would be #1 for my wife and me to enjoy our weekly family finance sessions.
Considering most people are using a Spreadsheet side-by-side with your app.

I love your work! Happy to share a ton of Product development work I’ve done in this domain.

I think community / support is the best way, we are always hanging around here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@edoardomoreni
Do you have a discord channel?

No, we don’t, but we could :slight_smile:

I still think a voting system would be better. It prevents duplicate comments and allows transparency on what people really want. Surely that helps the dev team too?

We have already talked about this. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hi Edoardo,
Can we have a video call please? I have a ton of value to share; I love your mission and wish to contribute

Luke@vitruvianspirit.com

Haha I know, I know.

But it seems other members of the community are interested in a voting system too - which definitely feels like a more organised way to leave feedback at least.

I agree with you but the issue is you always agree and say yes we will do it and that is the end of it. If we had upvoting then the ambiguity of you saying yes we will do it would be removed and provide some substance for all to see instead of the yes vapour we get at the moment.

I accept there is a conflict between what your customers want and what you want in terms of revenue generation and at the moment customer requests are very low proirity and I think it is time for that to be addressed and for Emma management to start to listen and give your customers some of the functionality they have been asking for.

Having said that I was pleased with the way Emma reacted to the bad design of the new screens and provided left and right swipe on what I consider to be the main pages,
reinstated the graphs and reinstated the ability to total tags on pressing them

I am still not convinced that seperation of category spend and budgets was a good idea but we were told this would enable better analaytics which I have been asking for now a number of years but again this again looks like vapour as nothing on the public list about this.

This is really not true.

The team works every day to make the product better. Everything has a priority, time, and place, which is well documented: Notion – The all-in-one workspace for your notes, tasks, wikis, and databases.

If someone comes here shouting and asking for a feature, it doesn’t mean we need to build it tomorrow. :man_shrugging:

With this said, every complaint about the new design was addressed (apart from separating analytics/budgeting) and we have way more to come, so stay tuned. :eyes:

1 Like

It’s this kind of comment that makes us impatient!! :joy:

Maybe the notion doc could actually have some more detail added to it? It’s very vague.

1 Like

I agree there is few updates or details in the roadmap, being able to comment on images as things are being developed would be a great way to involve the community

Adding another vote for custom categories. Some examples:

Holidays

• Transport
  • Hotels
  • Activities
  • Food and drink

Entertainment

• Streaming services
  • Live shows
  • Drinks
  • Activities

Eating out

• Restaurants
  • Delivery
  • Coffee

Shopping

• Clothes
  • Shoes
  • Electronics
  • Gifts

Bills

• Utilities
  • Insurance
  • Finance
  • Insurance

Being able to see and set both category and sub-category budgets would be great. This would work similarly to how the overall budget and category budgets work, just adding an extra level:

• The “Analytics” view shows the overall budget and category level breakdown.
  • Tapping on a category shows the category level budget and the sub-category level breakdown, along with all transactions for that category.
  • The sub-categories could be clicked on to breakdown the list of transactions further; this screen would look like the current category screen.

If users don’t create any sub-categories, their experience would be the same as today.

This is definitely a power user feature, but these are the sort of features that would convince me to stay subscribed to Pro!

3 Likes

How do you see tags in this context?

I think tags can be useful but there is no way to easily see graphs and stats for tags like you have for categories so sub-categories would be great, they could be implemented by having a collapsable tab with an arrow to see a category breakdown by each subcategory if there is any. This would be perfect as well as adding finally an average monthly spend and average monthly income somewhere in the analytics page would be very helpful. By income I mean across all categories not just the income category currently there is only a total but no way to approximate what the average is.