Showing Categories in Transactions List

Put a note icon/symbol alongside the category when there is a note

1 Like

Genius. :wink:

I agree - a visual symbol of the category is easier to process.

On reflection I think the above wording is recessive enough not to detract from the need for a clear interface and so is better than a visual icon.

What’s the intended benefit of displaying categories? What emotional or functional benefit will that information in this context give us?

Its value depends on how you use the app / want people to use the app.

For me personally, the only benefit I see from that is to give me a basic impression of which categories I’ve been spending on recently. But I can get a detailed breakdown of that in just a couple of clicks. So it’s quite a marginal benefit to have category visualised in spend.

That said, if you can make it something that easy to tune in or out of, it’s not such a bad thing. Having that extra bit of data to give you a general sense of where you’re spending is not too distracting.

The trade off for me is between the value in getting a basic ‘gut’ impression of which categories you have recently been spending in vs the need for a very clean, clear, calming visualisation (that is not too busy).

I actually think a visual category icon might be more distracting than the wording above, as it competes for attention with the brand logo more (I’m contradicting what I put below in the thread here). So in fact I think the word category is the way to go - and it’s recessive enough text to keep the design feeling calm and clear.

1 Like

Quick update to everyone, we are going to start testing this in the next few days.

It will be available to 50% of you (purely random). We want to see if this increases the category edits across the whole user base. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We have quite a few users asking to be able to see the categories so they know from a quick glance if they’re correct or not. Without it, you’d have to select each transaction to check

2 Likes

I frequently glance through the categories in analytics to spot miscategorised transactions, but that’s also quite time-consuming

1 Like

I wonder if the “see all transactions” view warrants its own main tab.

Regrettably not although I must say that nailed the geography portion. Other than geography, it turns out I essentially know nothing :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Some would say you landed your team a mountain of points…

2 Likes

My suggestion was to use an icon to indicate if a note is present, not to use an icon to represent the category.

I think icon for category might be too much, but we can test it.

I see, that’s a benefit I hadn’t considered. I’m only two weeks in to usage - makes good sense!

I’m seeing this today and loving it - great work! Does the job perfectly.

Only niggle is that I find my eyes are going left to right the whole time to read the transaction title, then the category. I imagine it’s even worse on bigger screens…

Is there no way to put it right under the transaction title, so your eyes stay in the same place?

2 Likes

It didn’t really feel visible when we tried that iteration, but we can try again. :stuck_out_tongue:

By the way, if you want this enabled, just reach out to customer support in More. :slight_smile:

It’s definitely useful having the category visible, but it would be better under the merchant name. It feels wrong it being next to the amount, and I’m not keen on the fact this means it’s not level with the merchant text - feels all out of alignment.

Niggles aside, this is very useful :grinning:

4 Likes

Agreed.

I find it distracts the eye from reading the amount as readily too, which is not great when the most important piece of information is the amount, and second most merchant. Category information, while useful, is a distant third in terms of importance so it shouldn’t distract from the other two (more important) pieces of information imho.

3 Likes

I’ve now had categories added to my transactions list - under amounts.

I definitely prefer having it than not having it, but I agree with others that it seems sub-optimal placement to have it under amounts. Would like to see them tested under transaction/merchant names.

When a transaction note is present (which up to now would appear under the merchant name), I suggest either using an icon to highlight the presence of a note (which can then be read by clicking on the transaction) or simply putting the start of the note on a 3rd line (line below category name).

4 Likes