One off big payment

What to do with a one time huge transaction like downpayment so that it doesn’t skew normal monthly spending analytics?
I’m a premium member

Hi @Ericntd you can choose to exclude the payment. I tend to do that if it’s unusual spend or income for me.

1 Like

@Ericntd - I should have actually showed you, apologies.

Open the transaction itself and use the exclude toggle as shown below :slight_smile:

Thanks @jase , I’m very familiar with the “excluded” function so no worries

It’s perfect for duplicates like credit card payment but not this requirement

Nevertheless, I will use the “excluded” workaround for now

1 Like

Hey @Ericntd :wave:

If you’ve got any ideas for how we can cover this better then let us know! :raised_hands:

1 Like

Hi rebekah, I’d suggest a separate “category” called “One-offs” or sth
It may or may stay a separate UI segment compared to the current “Categories”, up for discussion

In other words, the current “Excluded” is a helper for the Budgeting features which tracks monthly expenses so it doesn’t work for a one in a life time kinda payments IMO

If you really want to spread it over eg a few months, you can exclude the original transaction, then create a manual account and create eg 3 transactions, one each for the first day of the next 3 months. It’s a bit time-consuming, but it should work

Thanks for the suggestion @Gaoler but that’s a lot of work for very little benefit

My downpayment in this case is 10% but it could vary from 5% to 20% for everyone
My mortgage duration is. 25 years which is very common
So this downpayment will be roughly spread over 300 = 25*12 months
(We still haven’t account for interest)
So spreading it over a couple of months is far from accurate

Of course, if I waited 25 years sure the monthly spendings and budgeting stats will make sense without us making any changes
Ideally, I don’t want my monthly spendings stats to mess up

Oh, sorry, I wasn’t concentrating and thought you meant a rental deposit/upfront rent payment! Lockdown is getting to me…

I would exclude the transaction and add your equity in the property under Accurate Net Worth > Real Estate (sic) instead

1 Like

Thanks everyone, I found the perfect solution.
I put the downpayment in “investment”.
Since I withdrawed a similar amount money from stock exchange to make that payment, everything balanced out! (In “investment” category)

So happy :relaxed:

2 Likes