Emma Pockets/Pots šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§ - 4.34% AER

What about people who do their bills in bulk from one pot/pocket, Monzo simply withdraw the pot amount equating to the bill, does it have to be DD ?

You can still withdraw from a pocket and itā€™s a faster payment.

Off course, but where Iā€™m getting at is, where thereā€™s currently no incentive to use the product unless you apply interest, even then itā€™s a very competitive market, if a vast majority of people are using the app to budget, why not adopt the most fundamentally useful feature :person_shrugging: if Iā€™m tracking and holding the money to pay for the bills in the same place and had the ability to schedule a withdrawal, thatā€™ll probably benefit a lot of people.

We are going to apply interest. :slight_smile:

And we want to compete.

There is way more value to hold money than budget.

Value to the business versus value to the consumer are two very different things.

Itā€™s a budgeting app, thereā€™s obviously still some wrinkles to iron out on the basic functionality.

Holding money in a position through a budgeting app for a small amount of interest versus having the consumer natively deal with their finances through your app is a major donā€™t jump before you can fly moment and to some degree the features are feeling rushed.

Some examples below

the invest platform is still incredibly basic.

internal transfers through the pay icon doesnā€™t put my full name and fails unless itā€™s a recent sync.

The transactions canā€™t remember all edits.

All very basic foundations and youā€™re already pushing for new avenues and features.

Those are just a few examples from my experience as a paying consumer and investor.

IE as we talked about earlier, going through the hoops in replicating bugs and screen recording, compressing files, going into the live chat to fix an incorrect icon or name is a long winded process for such a basic feat.

Not that I mind terribly with the above example, Iā€™m just emphasising the fact with it being a nice gimmick to have pots, I donā€™t feel itā€™s worth it.

People arenā€™t going to scroll through their App Store, see the name ā€œEmma - Budget Planner Trackerā€ and assume you have a pot feature following by putting money they canā€™t afford to spare into said pot due to the financial living crisis.

Itā€™s all common sense.

3 Likes

We are changing the name. :wink:

For the edits, as I have mentioned, if you can report them, we can check.

They were examples used for context which were already reported, changing the name to fit the agenda of the business moving forward even if it was ā€œEmma - Money Hubā€ isnā€™t going to deflect from the criticism of fixing the budgeting basics before moving into other things.

Pots will not get used unless you make it incentivised for the consumer, the very few people who do use it (which would be a legacy bank account holder due to not having a native pot function) will earn the company residual interest, which will take a long time to recoup any of the costs.

Hence the suggestion to tailor it to manage it in vain of a bills pot to at least get people to use it for the original and from what I see the same sentiment which is to budgetā€¦ even for the short term holdings will earn the company compounded interest the minority have money to spare even when you do activate interest from the third party company.

3 Likes

For me, I wonā€™t be using the pots feature.

I consider my different back accounts as my own ā€˜potsā€™ (all conveniently tracked though Emmaā€¦ excluding manual account tracking).

The only reason I would hold money in a pot is if the interest rate rewards was competitive e.g. 2.2% and up.

It would have to beat Zopaā€™s smart saver at the moment, which seems unlikely

It can get there.

The interest would come from other banks, not Emma.

We are rolling out this from tonight. :eyes:

Hmm, wonā€™t be signing up to this at the moment:

• Is my money FSCS protected?
  • What is the interest rate?
  • What are the names of the custodian banks you are using? (I assume this is the case?)

These things as a minimum need addressing on the signup page surely?

4 Likes

Hey tom :slight_smile:

1. At the moment, itā€™s e-money, so itā€™s ring fenced.
  2. We donā€™t have an interest rate, working on it.
  3. The money is sitting at Starling Bank via a partner.

What we are working on is:

1. Auto-saving via direct debits
  2. Interest rates for free and premium users (with different tiers) - this comes with FSCS
  3. Group Pots

This all looks exciting and looking at your partners capabilities there is scope for all sorts of possibilities for Emma

The things I would like to see on the time line for Emma are
Foreign currency pots (with interest?) & FX capability

Depending on the competiveness then I would look to close my Wise and OFX accounts

Yes, we are looking at USD interest too. :wink:

For GBP, interest rates should be quite high since weā€™ll be relying on a few banks that have sweet deals.

What I find exciting about this feature is that if you SELL a stock, you can move the balance right away in a Pot.

We also support transfers between Pots which I donā€™t think lots of apps have.

I have created a pot with a balance but it is not appearing in the list of balances.

I expected the Cash savings balance to appear as one line (summarised or multi pots) in the savings section !

Hey Warren,

The number at the top is the total of available and pots balance. If you have an issue, can you ping live chat? :slight_smile:

@edoardomoreni yes the total is at the top and is clear but you have missed the point. The total does not appear in the savings tab / totals of bank savings accounts.

It is a valid bank account and there is no reason why you would exclude this account. You do not have to include any pots just the total cash savings.

You are a bank account consolidator and how can you justify excluding your own bank accounts.

1 Like

Yes, you are right. :wink:

We havenā€™t added Emma Invest and Pots yet, but this is quite easy and itā€™s going to be done very soon.