Emma in other markets 🌍

According to Wikipedia, the smart phone adaption rate in the UK Is 68%.

1 Like

Welcome back @BendikHa!

Wow, the figures for U.K. smartphone usage seem so low - but perhaps I’m biased being young.

I imagine Emma will launch across the EEA eventually, once an EU subsidiary company has been set up and Emma has an EU license which can be used in Passporting.

If it were me in charge, I would then “soft launch” the app in English with a small selection of banks like Revolut, which operate over much of the area. I would then slowly add more banks, especially local ones, and work on providing support at a country-level, before launching fully translated versions of the app.

I suspect a pan-EEA English app, with support for a few banks, might not be too difficult to put together. The main problem is Brexit and Emma’s lack of ability to use EU passporting rights (yes, I know Norway isn’t in the EU but the passporting rights apply across the EEA). Once the correct legal setup has been sorted, in an EU country, that can be “passported” across the whole EEA.

1 Like

Thank you for the great insights @Seb. I totally support and agree with how you see Emma expanding across the EEA. Are you working for Emma?

In the past I was able to connect my Norwegian Revolut-account to my British Emma-account, but unfortunately it seems like this is no longer possible. Do you have an explanation to why? I’ve attached a screenshot of the error message I get when I’m trying.

I suspect the issue might be that Emma only has an eMoney-licence for the US and the UK, and with the UK no longer being part of the EU, I won’t be able to connect any non-UK/US accounts. Where in the past with the UK being part of the EU, there was no regulations stopping it. Am I correct?

For reference, I am able to connect my Norwegian PayPal and Coinbase-account though.

1 Like

No, haha!

I think you are right about the situation with Revolut and your Norwegian account - basically, Emma would be legally required to block access now as they don’t have passporting rights any more, only U.K. and USA licenses like you said (although I believe it’s actually a license to be a “registered account information services provider”, known as an AISP license, rather than e-money).

It will return once an EU launch has been rolled out!

1 Like

If all goes well, we’ll register a company in EU and get a license this year. I am feeling a bit nostalgic. :cry:

2 Likes

Also have the same issue, though i just use everything out of the UK :slight_smile:
Portuguese Banks, Revolut, N26, to me this is infuriating but i understand its not Emma’s fault.
Im holding out for the EU License :frowning:

1 Like

Any news on when the app will be available to EU banks or at least revolut outside the UK ?

Hey @fcardoso,

thanks for posting.

In order to be able to operate in EU, we need to do a few legal things (thanks to brexit), so it’s part of our long term strategy, but not something we are looking at in the next few months. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@edoardomoreni still no news ?

Defnyddir y Gymraeg yn helaeth yng Nghymru (yn enwedig Gogledd Cymru). Bydd hyn nid dim ond cefnogi cynllun Llywodraeth Cymru i gyflawni ‘miliwn o siaradwyr erbyn 2050’, ond gallai’r ap hefyd apelio am siaradwyr iaith gyntaf.

The Welsh language is widely used in Wales (especially North Wales). This will not only support the Welsh Government’s plan to achieve ’a million Welsh speakers by 2050’, but the app could also appeal to first language Welsh speakers.

We are not actively working on new markets at this point. :frowning:

There is lots of new product that we want to release in the UK for 2021. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hi,

Any update on this ?
And was there some change to the app done cause it now asks for my phone number and it wasn’t loggin in with that.

Hey @fcardoso,

We still don’t have any immediate plans to expand into other markets at this time.

Emma has been focused on adding a host of new features to the platform, but if our plans change we will keep everyone updated! :slight_smile: