Editing pending transactions (category, notes, tags, etc)

Hey @Moneyble,

thanks for the suggestion. :slight_smile:

The problem is a bit more complex than that. Our CTO wrote a post a few weeks back: (Most-Wanted) Features - #266 by antonio

Hey. It’s be great if we could change categories on new spends right away. I find that’s the best time to do it as that’s when you remember what the spend eas for. But it won’t let you whilst they are pending transactions. Can this be changed ?

Hey @nieldaniels :wave:

Welcome to the Emma community!

Have just moved your comment into this thread - there’s a bit more info here about why we can’t edit pending transactions :blush:

I would like to be able to input details for pending transactions. By the time they are no longer pending I have lost the receipt and forgotten what they are.
Add documents to transactions
Split payments in other ways, not just 50/50

Hey @Lat56 :wave:

We have pending transaction editing on our long-term roadmap, but there’s a bit more info on this thread as to why we don’t currently have this feature :blush:

As for the documents - you can currently add receipts, but what kind of other documents would you want to add?

Invoices in pdf

Ok cool - thank you for letting us know :clap:

Had just been searching for this topic and very much agree with this suggestion (I.e just being able to include pending transactions in my budget spend). Emma is a good app, but for me it is missing a pretty fundamental feature that stops it from being great for the app’s initial core purpose: real-time tracking of my monthly spending (including pending transactions) against a budget.

I find myself constantly doing the mental maths to figure out what my actual spend is in a given month at any one time, factoring in the permanent list of 1-10 pending transactions, which whilst not difficult it creates friction and makes the app less successful in fulfilling its core function. And my pending transactions actually change in probably <1% of cases.

Is there anyway that this can be pushed further up the roadmap? There’s a bunch of very exciting projects and directions that Emma can go, but for me this feature is a blocker in Emma being able to fulfil it’s core value proposition to the customer as well as it could do. Having browsed through the roadmap, I couldn’t find a single item on there that I would rather have right now than this feature (of course I’m only a data point of 1, but just my 2 cents!)

Heyyy @Carlbbishop :wave:

I’m not sure we’re able to push pending transactions further up the roadmap.

Do you think that a pending transaction total would help make this a little easier in the meantime?

Until pending transactions can be edited perhaps just assign a ‘pending’ category whilst the transaction is pending. We can then go to analytics tab to see a total.

Hi Rebekah,

I think that would help a lot - if I could see the headline figure for my ‘budget remaining including pending transactions’ on the analytics tab that would be great, as that would provide the ‘real-time’ budget tracking that I’m looking for.

Carl

1 Like

It would be great to have the ability to photograph and upload receipts for pending transactions or those which have not yet appeared.

This will enable users to log the receipt immediately without having to carry it round and store it safely until the transaction is confirmed in the bank feed. The receipt could then be tagged to the transaction at some point in future.

Hey @samiphoenix :wave:

Welcome to the community!

Adding receipts is on our roadmap and there’s a little bit more information on this here:

In absence of ability to edit pending transactions I wonder if a useful feature might be the ability to bookmark/star individual transactions. In the context of pending transactions I could star those I want to return to when they become editable. Even if it is isn’t possible for Emma to match the pending and settled version of a transaction, you could issue an app notification when a starred transaction leaves pending state. This would notify me that a settled and editable version of the transaction is probably now available. Could also be useful for tracking transactions you expect you won’t be charged for once they leave pending state (e.g. rental deposits).

Ability to star individual transactions may be useful for other reasons, not limited to pending transactions. e.g. someone might want to star a settled transaction as a reminder that they are owed money in relation to that transaction or as a reminder that they have paid for a trial subscription that they may wish to cancel at some point in the future. Taking this one step further, ability to add reminders to starred transactions could be useful.

1 Like

It would be easier to save the receipts if we could attcha the pictures before the transaction before is confirmed.
Being able to change the category straightway also would be very nice.

Thanks

I just reviewed the roadmap and I have to say that I’m disappointed to see that the ability to do something with pending transactions has been kicked further down the road. I think it’s been 12-18 months away since it was first raised in 2019 with the reason that it’s complex (I don’t doubt it) and not enough time spent on it.

3+ years later it’s great to see that the team have managed to find time to spend on other new features, but I can’t help thinking that a). some of that could have been spent on pending transactions by now, and b). a date that’s still 12-18 months away is probably not a real date.

Perhaps it’s time to come clean and admit that it’s not going to happen because it’s value doesn’t warrant the perceived effort? And if that’s the case, can we perhaps have an API to pull the pending transactions and solve it ourselves? I’m sure I could do something myself in Excel that would allow me to a) capture info on pending transactions, and b) test my own solution to the problem, before I apply for a senior developer job :wink:

1 Like

The simplest solution must be to tag the pending with metadata editable, then try to match to a confirmed transaction when the pending disappears. But that would require decent metadata and metadata matching… From current evidence, Emma isn’t there yet

+1 for this idea.

My use case however just requires the ability to tag a pending transaction.

Can be tedious having to remember to keep going back into the app to tag it after a few days.

1 Like

Hi. I’d be lovely to get the full editing on pending transactions, but in the meantime, a simple ability to add a note to a pending transaction would address my greatest pain - that I simply forget what the transaction was for.

Some of the transaction statements are so cryptic I only know what they’re for in the moment I make them. If I try to return and categorize them later, it becomes a guessing game - or cumbersome sifting through email receipts where possible. Undermines the point of having an app with all data easily accessible in one place.

3 Likes

Hi Kamiko,

I definitely understand that is a pain point, and the ability to add a note to pending transactions is a great idea that we’ll look into!

3 Likes