Do You Talk To Your Family About Money?

Afternoon all :v:

We have a new post on the Emma blog which looks at the importance of talking about money.

https://bit.ly/2ILBzX0

There’s lots of research out there which shows that millions of people don’t discuss money with their friends and family, with many even keeping quite serious financial secrets from their loved ones.

I’d say I’m pretty open about money with my fam, and probably check in with my bf once a month to discuss how we’re both getting on with our money (saving for a house :crossed_fingers:)

How do you manage the money talk? Do you make sure you catch up with your family/ partners about money regularly? Or do you prefer to keep that kinda thing to yourself?

I talk to my friends about my salary etc… although they all earn a lot more than me. I feel that gives some objective thinking on their side when advising me.

My family and I don’t really talk about money so much.

My better half hates talking about money and finds it quite embarrassing. Our lives our very different financially and I know there can be stigmas around this when people are in a relationship.

Yeah and I think having an open conversation about this with your pals can really help when you’re organising nights/ meals out, holidays, etc. Helps to set expectations and makes sure everyone is happy with the plans.

Although I did read an article a while back which said X% of people had stopped being friends with someone because they wanted to spend their time in more expensive restaurants/ on more expensive holidays :scream:

Will see if I can find the article again!

I think I understand why people do that. But for me, I prefer to spend my money on nice restaurants with friends who perhaps can more easily afford it, than buying major purchases.

I’m all about experience or convenience over tangible things.

1 Like

I’m definitely the same when it comes to experiences over things, but I’m such a sucker when it comes to cheap eats. I think I’d always choose 4 meals at £15, over one meal at £60!

I really don’t enjoy cooking and so we have takeaway a lot, sometimes 4-5 nights a week. But we are trying to be better.

The way I see it is that I work a long day and don’t want to then do something I don’t enjoy in my free time.

When the better half has their next day off work, we are going to try a bulk cooking day though, to try and freeze some meals for easier eats of an evening.