Do you still use cash?

Might be worth thinking about however as it’s not usable for budgeting when some of my transactions literally read “Gbp”

Hmmm. Interesting.

I currently use the app Spendee just to keep track of my daily spending - just so I know how much I am spending on day to day things and make sure not spending too much!! LOL. I think the Spendee app can link with bank accounts too - although I just use it as a daily spending “tracker”.

But if Emma app can do manual transactions, that would be good. Another reason to consider getting Emma Pro

1 Like

Yes! these are the new features that are coming to Emma Pro at the end of the month:

:hamburger: Emojis support for custom categories.
:date: Export the ranges you want.
:pound: Manual balances in any currency.
:shopping_cart: Manual transactions to track cash spending.
:memo: Rename of multiple transactions in one go!

1 Like

I haven’t used cash in the last 18 months. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

In America I understand Walmart are using robots in some stores.
This will ease the theft of shopping carts, reducing the need for coins

1 Like

Hmm, I’d say the opposite - there are two or three barbers near me I’d go to depending on which one I’m passing, and all of them take card. Lucky I guess. Having said that, if they didn’t take card I’d just ditch the one that’s cash only and go elsewhere in future, in the same way as I no longer go to shops that have a minimum spend to pay by card :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Same for things like window cleaners - I pay mine by bank transfer now. It’s a big consideration when I hire a tradesperson (moreso if it’s a “recurring” trade like window cleaning) as to whether I can pay them by card/BACS on an ongoing basis.

The only thing I have to use cash for is car valeting, but that’s because it’s some guy who comes to our office and you leave cash at reception if you want your car cleaned. If I wasn’t so lazy (or pushed for time) and drove it to the valet place down the road, they’d take card.

On a tangent, by the way, this whole conversation would blow my mother’s mind :man_facepalming:t2: She still “doesn’t like using contactless” and usually reverts to cheques (cheques!) to pay a tradesperson. It upsets me :roll_eyes::joy:

1 Like

Cheques! I don’t think I own an in date cheque book hahah :rofl:

1 Like

Wouldn’t know how to do cheques. Haven’t seen one in years.

What’s your source? I’ve yet to see this.

When it comes to renting an apartment in the US, most of them only require checks when you are to pay the deposit and security.

1 Like

Ah fair enough, we pay for everything using bank transfer here!

That’s how Norway works too, I wish the US would just move on.

1 Like

I work for asda a sub of Walmart and I know they are experimenting with smart stuff in store. I believe there is a video on YouTube

I currently live in a small town. Apple Pay isn’t really a big thing here. One of the local shops has a big sign in the window saying “we now take debit cards!”. Seriously.

That said, I rarely buy anything used and mainly shop online.

2 Likes

That’s crazy - so not even card is widely accepted there?

Guess I’m lucky to live in the South. If I leave my phone at home I can still get by on my Watch :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hey @Orko

Welcome to the Emma Community!

My name is Lilli and I am Head of Community & Brand here at Emma :slight_smile:

This is surprising, can I ask whereabouts you are based? :sweat_smile:

I’m currently living in Todmorden in Lancashire, though we are moving soon (we hope!). I’ve really not been here long (i’ve been forced to move back in with my mum and we are currently involved in what seems like the longest move in history, to a bungalow).

Was pretty surprised myself that some shops are cash only, and Apple and Google Pay are definitely not a big thing here.

Will try to remember to take a photo of the sign saying they now take debit lol

1 Like

Oh, nice! I suppose some small business’ still don’t have card readers although there are so many electronic ones now, I see a lot of small vendors with PayPal card readers.

Please do take a picture haha!

Hi there @Orko nice to meet you and good luck on the move!! I have been moving all my life and know a bit about it!!! Yea, some shops seem to not go in for modern payment methods. I don’t understand them!
Ho hum!
Hans

3 Likes