Do you still use cash?

Slow to the party again haha! This makes me happy though, I did notice this but I thought I was just shopping in corner shops less…

I think it is we can agree that no one really uses cash anymore…

It may be illegal but you can’t forbid economic fact. if they can’t afford the card fees they will drop using cards entirely. I don’t think that’s a preferable option, at least not from my perspective.

Barbers just don’t have the margin to be able to offer card payments.

1 Like

They can afford it the guy dresses very nicely and I know where he lives. Barbers aren’t on tight margins I’m telling you. After initial equipment cost it’s just labor and rent they’re paying for - family owned ones won’t be struggling at all, ones that employ people may be a little tighter but by no means are on tight margins when they’re paying £8 an hour to someone and charge £9 to cut my hair for 20 minutes.

Bet?

So you’re saying he should stop dressing nicely so he can take card payments?

Ok if you seem convinced that they can just absorb the costs of credit card payment processing, convince him to take them.

Depending on the location of the barbers and the rent price, the margins are pretty tight. My friend who is a barber, cuts one hair cut per 45 mins and charges £20. They have to work all day solidly to make a decent amount once they have paid rent. He takes a small percentage from the barbers that cut in his shop so they make even less and he has to still cut hair to make a living. If they had to lose £1.50 a day from every hair cut they do they would lose a lot.

They don’t want to take them - I can’t force that upon them

Hell, if they can’t absorb it put the prices up by 0.5% + whatever flat fee you’re paying to your card processor

I can assure you that isn’t a problem here. They’re not in the town centre, they’re in a small residential neighborhood where they have a monopoly pretty much. They have people lined up outside the door and they’re all paying £9 to have their hair cut in 15-20 (Not that they do a bad job)

With more and more places accepting cards, I rarely uses cash. The only time I get cash is when I ‘pant’. It’s a Norwegian thing where you pay a few more NOK for your bottle, but get it back when you return it to a grocery- or a convience store. However, I deposit the money into my account right away. Beside that, I only have cash when my grandparents give me some.

While in the US I only use cash when I sell something seccond hand. Using cash is the most secure way to make sure you actually receive the money. If the buyer uses PayPal/Venmo he can request a chargeback saying it was a fraudelent transaction and the money would be taken back from you.

Depositing/withdrawing cash in the US is relatively easy. I’m able to deposit/withdraw cash to a Chase ATM only using Apple Pay.

2 Likes

I agree, I recently sold a tv on Facebook MP and it’s great to take cash because it’s more trustworthy. But now I’ve got £200 in cash and the banks all shut before I finish work so I can’t pay it in till the weekend :sob: I hate carrying cash because I spend it so much quicker.

This is me when I have cash…

200w

2 Likes

I use cash almost everyday. I prefer to handle money that way. Easier set a budget and stick to it

1 Like

I don’t believe so - surely it’s a lot easier to get something like Revolut and then set a physical card spending limit?

1 Like

@clar which bank do you use?

1 Like

@o99 @Recchan
I’m with Santander. And thinking about it I don’t actually spend money everyday :woman_facepalming:t5:, however when given a choice I prefer cash because it IS physical limit. With cash you can say I’ll spend up to X then just take that out and use it.

When you use it is much more noticeable because a physical transaction takes place. Sure with digital transactions it shows up on your phone, but that just isn’t the same. When you don’t have money, you literally don’t have money - no option for credit.

Don’t get me wrong, I still carry my card and phone for back up and large purchases, but using cash is preferred. It works for me.

Edit -----
A good budgeting app/excel helps with the tracking. Yes I have the enter stuff yourself but that makes me pay attention.

2 Likes

When I was using a traditional bank I was same as you, I much preferred cash and found it difficult to maintain awareness when I used contactless payments. For me this was due to the delay between a transaction and it registering on my bank account as well as the poor/basic quality of transaction information.

Then 2-3 years ago I started looking around for a solution and discovered the mobile-only banks. The instant nature of the transaction information, the detailed transaction information, and the spending analytics these banks provide is extremely helpful for spending awareness. I now prefer to cash. I use Monzo, but there are other options - most notably Starling, N26, and Revolut.

2 Likes

I see that Starling and Monzo both won Bank of the Year award this year. Well done the fintechs. The only problem is that society still loves its pound coins: car parks; shopping trolleys and car boots etc. We really a few to take out or we are stuffed!
Yes, I am with you Lilli on cash burning holes in my pocket! Its easy to spend!!
Hans

Car boots will become fueled by P2P payments I’m sure!

As for car parks, I can pay off all of those with my cards in the South West now :wink:

Shopping trolleys I reckon need some innovation, maybe @edoardomoreni could talk with emma’s investors to fund me to build WiFi connected trolleys :joy:

2 Likes

I understand the appeal of mobile banks and have looked into them before - I hate the lag in card payments which is why I tend to use Google Pay or PayPal when possible.

However the main reason I stick with cash is phycological. I find that I spend more when I use card (on average, mostly within budget but whenever I go over is on card). Maybe that’s just me, but even with instantaneous feedback on my phone, cash seems “more real” so I end up being more practical with my spending. Also, taking only the money I need each day/week helps prevent me “borrowing” from later in the month.

Finally, especially now with open banking, you can still get good analytics from third party apps. I understand that this is more hassle and so on, but it works for me.

2 Likes

Hey @Clar

Thanks for sharing!

We are actually in the process of building a feature in Emma pro that lets you create manual transactions. So if you use cash you will be able to manually input this. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can you guys remove renaming from the pro section?

It’s literally a necessity since my bank never gives Emma any useful information

It’s not something that we are going to do at the moment I’m afraid :frowning:

1 Like