1 in 5 workers earning a salary above $100K are living paycheck to paycheck

1 in 5 people making more than $100K a year are still living paycheck to paycheck according to research by global advisory firm Willis Towers Watson.

Stats like this make me think that earning more money doesn’t always mean you’ll suddenly know how to manage your money better.

What do you think about this? Would you expect someone earning $100K a year to manage their money well?

1 Like

It’s all about that lifestyle creep!

If you can afford a new car then you justify the expenditure when a 2nd hand would do the job fine.

Why send your kids to state school when they’ll, statistically, get a better start going private

I guess when you make that sort of cash appearances start to matter more because of the circles you run in as well

I bet they have great pensions too so saving for the future is less of a priority

I’d like to think I’d just invest that money and retire at 35. I’m good as long as I have enough to live on and a little extra to enjoy life.

If you earn more the things that matter most to you get more money, in fact I think all the little thing just get a bit mote and it all adds up.

If you are good at saving you will save more. If you spend on family you will spend more, and still stretch your finances to do that little bit extra. Private school over state schools, both school trips not one.

I don’t think having more money makes you any better at managing your money. I think you grow into spending the income that you have.

Not surprising to be honest, lifestyle creep is a thing indeed.

At 100k a year I’d probably be putting back most in the bank, at the very least to put my children through a Russell Group.

Would also be ensuring they were learning an Ancient Language + doing lessons in an instrument.

But then again, my family isn’t from a wealthy cloth. So I would be aiming to set my children up to that lifestyle so they’d continue what I’d built and see it as normal.

Lifestyle creep is real! I just had two weeks of intense work :money_mouth_face: and found myself purchasing a £430 LED light face mask from Dr Dennis Gross :flushed: somehow I talked myself into buying this! Emma admin, I think we need a blog on how to resist lifestyle creep. It’s insidious.

I wouldn’t get lifestyle creep and natural selection confused, this is just plain stupid since it’s pretty well understood now that reusable face masks that you’d buy at sports direct etc actually yknow aren’t that good at doing what the ones we’d buy to dispose

The real question is, does it work? :thinking:

I think @London_Gal meant this one

Well, I’ll eat my hat

I guess it probably does work for that amount of money

I have the slightly cheaper version of this from Current Body :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

I’ve been using it for a couple of months - haven’t noticed a huge difference yet but hoping it’ll keep wrinkles at bay for a while longer haha…

Let us know what you think of the pricier one!

1 Like

It’s too early to tell but I had tried a cheaper one with similar tech for about two months and saw a difference. This one takes just 3 minutes so I’m saving on time, and as a freelancer my time is money. At least that’s how I sold it to myself :joy:

2 Likes

It’s true, the more you earn the more you spend.
Last year we started transferring any pay rises out of our current account wish we started doing that years ago!

1 Like

That’s a great method @Bigben!

It’s so tempting to want to spend the extra cash but if you can afford your current lifestyle, you should aim to save and/or invest the difference you don’t really ‘need’.

1 Like

I think it is simply living beyond their means as earning that sort of money I would hope would be enough for the majority people.

It is lifestyle choices which people choose to make which influence spending habits.

There was Adele the singer the other day who stated she would not be able to afford the equivalent of her main home in USA to buy in London as prices are too expensive. I think Adele is great but her comment in my opinion is crazy as she has an estimated wealth of 150 million plus. Like with these very rich people it is all about lifestyle and choices people make.

@Everybitcounts
I totally agree. It’s all about living within your means.

Living within the means, means different to different people. I am in the UK and lucky to earning about 100k, but I don’t own a property and don’t consider myself rich.

In my case being a first-generation immigrant has played a big part. My means have been always limited because I am trying to stand up from scratch without any existing support network and I want my Kids to have the best start possible in life, so a lot of money goes into that.
I live in London, and I wouldn’t want to move anywhere else in the world (there are reasons for this, but I digress) so to live in good area with good access to transport and schools I have to pay a lot in rent.

In conclusion, I can relate to the Paycheck to Paycheck scenario, but my income has allowed me to make the chocies and live a life which I am comfertable with. I might not be a homeowner and wait for my pay every month, but I consider myself in privileged position to be able to afford what I have from one month to the next. :pray:

2 Likes

I guess it all comes down to I make X I shouldn’t live on X, but on X * 2/3.

Hi Rebekah,

I would recommend the Dr Dennis Gross mask and use it religiously now. It’s been about 3 months & I’ve been pretty lazy most of that time w/ skincare products, not even bothering with moisturiser, but my skin is glowing in a way it didn’t before. It feels plumper and best of all, I get fewer random spots around my period. Unlike the cheaper masks, this sits comfortably on my face & I can carry on with my day while it does its magic. I spend less time dealing with menstrual zits & the scars. Lifestyle creep compelled me to buy this mask but I don’t regret it!