When are we getting subcategories?

The Emma forum has multiple posts from past years requesting subcategories. This would be so useful to me. For example, Shopping is a category for me but I’d like to create subcategories like “Clothes” to better track my spending. Can we get a subcategories feature soon please please please

2 Likes

If you’re on the paid version, I’d create a custom category called clothes, then hit split payment and put the exact amount you spent on clothes into this new category, should be the sort of work around you’re after.

I don’t think this is what the op meant.

The idea is to have main categories, but be able to see a breakdown within those categories. So, Shopping > Clothes, books, games, gifts etc

4 Likes

Gaoler You are correct. That’s what I meant. And I don’t want to do it using tags or notes - I’d like to be able to do it with categories

@Gaoler @kimberly Thanks for your suggestions. We are working on them. :blush:Notion – The all-in-one workspace for your notes, tasks, wikis, and databases.

1 Like

I use the hashtags for that, so it seems subcategories would kind of just be a duplication of a feature we already have?

Hashtags and categories are two different things and there are completely different ways to apply either in the app. I am asking for subcategories like other users have requested over the years.

Thank you maryna!

They may be called different things but they do perform exactly the function you described in your original post.

I already do exactly what you are trying to achieve, but with hashtags.

I tag all my shopping as #shopping but then also tag items with things like #clothes, #running, #gadgets etc. depending on what it’s for.

So I can see both an overall spend for my shopping, but then a breakdown of exactly which sub category of shopping by simply clicking on the relevant hashtag.

The only difference is that you can’t set a budget for hashtags, but you can do analytics from them as you described above.

Now that we have added totals in search subcategories might be a bit useless. :wink:

What do you mean by totals in search?

Also, the “only difference” is actually useful

There’s a difference between function and how a tool is accessed through the user interface. Based on how Emma is designed, categories are way easier to edit than tags (at least in my opinion).

We have added the total of all transactions.