What investment platform should I use?

Hey Emma Community :wave:t3:

Help needed!

I’m starting to look into investing and need recommendations on the best investment platforms? Ideally looking for a platform with low fees and an ethical portfolio. I was thinking Wealthify but maybe there is better ones out there? Any ideas?

:man_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Personally I would go with something like Freetrade where you pick your shares directly

Not a portfolio thing that chooses itself for you

They have 0 fees and since you’re investing yourself you won’t have to worry about the ethicalness of the company since you can check yourself (although I personally wouldn’t go chasing ethics over profit)

Afraid this is all the advice I can give since I don’t touch premade plans

You may be interested in tickr.

The fees are comparable to Wealthify (I think - please check!), but the portfolios are all focused on ethical companies.

It will be more expensive than plain old ETFs with Freetrade or even with Vanguard et al, but might be worth it for simplicity and ethics. So perhaps worth researching a bit.

For general discussion, the Freetrade forum is a good place to start.

I referred him to WealthSimple, but he doesn’t want to grab my link. :laughing:

There are apps like Acorns and Robinhood.

Can I ask why you don’t touch premade plans?

I trust myself to either gain or lose my own money. Don’t need someone else to do that for me :slight_smile:

I use Vanguard. They are a mutual, which means that they keep fees low and put their customers first. It’s worth looking at Jack Bogle who founded Vanguard for insight into their values.

4 Likes

For ethical options though?

Vanguard have a couple of ethical funds

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/need-help/answer/do-you-have-ethical-funds

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/investments/vanguard-sri-global-stock-fund-accumulation-shares/overview?intcmpgn=equityglobal_sriglobalstockfund_fund_link

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/investments/vanguard-sri-european-stock-fund-accumulation-shares/overview?intcmpgn=equityeurope_srieuropeanstockfund_fund_link

3 Likes

But a portfolio? I think the OP is after something ready made.

I’d love to see Emma Investments by Vanguard. :stuck_out_tongue:

I took a look at Tickr and love the idea, I just feel they’re a little premature at the moment. For someone new to investing, their website didn’t really fill me with confidence and I found that they did a poor job at educating what’s happening to your money.

Thank you for the suggestion though! I’m glad I found them

1 Like

Yes! I think they’re planning to launch their own ETFs, which will be cheaper (hopefully) and much more interesting.

Worth watching, I think

I also use Vanguard, mostly because their fees tend to be much lower than competitors.

Thanks for all your suggestions team, I decided to go with Wealthsimple due to the ease of use.

I also chose Freetrade just for a little fun on the side :man_cartwheeling:

1 Like

Despite not using my referral code.

Soz :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I have very little investment experience. Has anyone used a ‘training’ investment platform where fees and investment values are low? I mean really low. I think I’ve seen stuff on platforms that invest in parts of shares? In the past they might have been ‘penny share’ investments?

Trading 212 has a practice mode, where you don’t invest any money at all. They also do fractional shares, so you can invest specific amounts in some stocks, regardless of the share price.

Is that what you’re after?

Check for promo codes before you sign up though…