Virtual Saving Pots

Yes, this is interesting. We are still a bit skeptical by the fact that everything needs to be manual and it’s difficult to split a balance in different parts (for the common human being). :wink:

1 Like

Just skimmed thru this thread, but what if the amount was taken from a percentage of each incoming paycheck?

Goals are a cool idea. Would really love this.

I have several accounts for different saving purposes. One of my current accounts gets higher interest but caveat is there needs a certain amount in it so I moved some of my regular savings in that 1 account. multiple virtual ‘sub accounts’ would be helpful to be able to track those.
During syncing everything of course would happen on the main account and then manual assignment to the correct ‘sub account’.

1 Like

If multiple ‘savings pots’ within an account would not be possible then one could create a manual account for each of those savings pot, but then we would need to be able to create manual transactions to move money between both of them.

1 Like

The way we were thinking this was more the ability to set a goal to a saving account, which would be quite nice. :slight_smile:

Useful… very useful.

My saving potS are on my current account as it is a higher interest one than a regular savings account. So your approach won’t help me. I would want another functionality to be able to have sub-accounts.

As added feedback to this… hopefully you all apply it more generically as different “pots” I can setup to save money into. Things like vacations are great, but I find it more helpful for being able to hold money back appropriately for non-monthly recurring expenses. IE: I save each month a certain amount of money in preparation for my real-estate tax bill. It would be great to be able to take a % or specific amount of my savings and reflect it in that pot. Even if it’s a manual approval of that reflection.

I realize part of the complication is it’s likely that money actually exits the account, but I would be fine having it as a “virtual” pot, or even one that’s tracked against a different account, but just allocates whatever dollar amount from that account to the pot (and deducts it from the general total).

FYI - This is a feature that if it was available in pro would make me more inclined to pay for pro.

Thanks for the heads up.

I would love this. It would allow me to get a higher savings interest rate than my Starling current account but still have a similar method to replace their goals. Add into that integration with Marcus and it would keep me happy for a while.

1 Like

Hi. Is there a way to create a savings target/goal. Either a total one or one that can be split into categories for each savings goal?

3 Likes

Hey @Jill :wave:

Not currently but this is absolutely something we can continue to consider. How do you envision seeing this in Emma? Would the goal show under the accounts tab?

Yes. Either put money into savings and then allocate to a particular item or put into a specific category that feeds into the total savings.
Each category with a target that tallies with total savings target.
Needs to be very flexible to use as different priorities change.

Thanks for getting back to me!
Jill

So you’re saying maybe a category called ‘Savings’ that works just like the budget but rather than setting a budget you’re setting a goal?

2 Likes

Building on this I have a few use cases to support.
I would really like to be able to set a target on an account. Eg by dad/MM/yyyy the target balance is £#,####
I would use it on savings accounts to check I am on track to reach my savings goal.
I would use it on Loan accounts to check I’m tracking on target to reduce my mortgage by the amount I want.

1 Like

I’d love to see this in Emma too! Great motivation to keep on saving and to stick to my budget!

Where could you see this fitting in Emma? On the Accounts tab under each account, or perhaps you could see the goal by clicking into each individual account?

Yes I think in the Accounts tab under each account would be the best place for it, though either could work.

People could use it to track reducing overdrafts too.

1 Like

Yess :raised_hands:

We’ve got it on our most wanted features to-do list, so hopefully, we can work on adding something like this soon :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I’d love to see this!

My savings are spread across multiple accounts, so it would be good tag and visualise savings agaisnt different goals.

For example, say if I save £500, I’d like to be able to allocate which goals that go towards:
£250 - Emergengy Fund
£200 - House Deposit
£50 - Summer Holiday

The news regarding this is we are adding the ability to set Savings targets on top of individual accounts. This feature will be available in Emma Pro.