The most popular cryptocurrencies

There are thousands of different cryptocurrencies, but most advisors suggest that you skip the smaller cryptos in favour of the more popular ones.

Every quarter Coindesk ranks cryptocurrencies based on dollar volume and other data from third-party cryptocurrency exchanges. They’ve just updated the list with the 20 most popular cryptocurrencies :point_down:

Which cryptocurrency have you invested in? Have you invested in any that aren’t on this list?

My favourites on here are Ethereum & Polkadot. I also have some Kusama (KSM), Solana (SOL) and SushiSwap (SUSHI) which aren’t in this Top 20, hopefully soon :rocket::full_moon_with_face:

1 Like

Ethereum and Bitcoin only, everything else seems to be a fad and just doesn’t accrue past the point it hits an exchange

ADA however is also kinda cool

Bought Matic (Polygon) at 2¢ and it literally 100x a week later. It is still over a Dollar atm. It makes up around 50% of my portfolio, the rest being BTC, ETH and a few other smaller tokens.

1 Like

This is 50% of my porftolio.

1 Like

Can’t see ravencoin and monero on it. I technically don’t invest in either but I hold whatever monero I mine (raven gets converted). The rest of my portfolio is ethereum. tezos, bnb and cro. I get the cro as cashback so wouldn’t count that as an investment either.

Cash back that depreciates in value is a good one

Not if you convert it to something like ethereum at the end of each month (or when its jumps slightly).

Note that HMRC considers transfers between crypto as taxable events

Tl;dr crypto cashback is a con unless it’s in BTC or ETH where you can just ignore it entirely and pay CGT only when you sell, not when you do 300 different things

1 Like

Only BTC, ETH and DOGE. That ranking is way too serious, it needs Dogecoin on it to lighten it up.

I have Bitcoin, Etherium, Monero, ZCash, Dash, BitcointSV, Compound, Tether and BitcoinGold.

Initially I bought some for technical exploration reasons and was somewhat surprised that there was also investment potential ( not really the original goal of crypto I guess ). I sold some around Christmas time to transfer to my pension, the remaining I’ll keep.

It bugs me that there is so much proof-of-work chewing up energy. So I plan to focus more on non proof-of-work crypto that does something useful for confirmations ( eg Helium caught my attention ).

1 Like

Why does this bug you? It’s primarily done in areas with an absolute abundance of clean electricity because electric’s very cheap in places with an over-abundance of the stuff

I am:

Ada
Dot
Algo
TRX
SOL
Link
KSM
XMR
RUNE
SHIB
ICO
AVAX
LUNA

Yes, I have Shiba Inu. :laughing:

1 Like

A couple of reasons.

Firstly I don’t know (so much mis-information around this) but I strongly suspect that proof-of-work is not mostly clean electricity. Eg -

Secondly It seems a waste of electricity anyways … better to choose a lower-energy confirmation mechanism and charge some cars instead.

Although having said that, I did come across this device … https://heatbit.com/

Reading to much into the energy fud. You are more than welcome to buy into any tech you want, but please take everything you read with a pinch of salt and do your own research.
The security of Bitcoin is the fact that to change the Blockchain would cost 51% of the hashrate of a 10 minute block and you would have to keep that up for many blocks. Talking Millions of $
Anything built on PoS is going to be a fraction of this and you will always get bad actors with the intent of making it work in their favor.

China’s one is not relevant at all. China has a few areas where electricity is dirt cheap, because it’s fuelled by hydroelectric power.

Not that it’s relevant anyways, China’s really cracking down on crypto.

As for other places, they have a higher mix of clean energy in the grid.

Not that it really matters, we’re already past the point of no return in regards to global warming. Should just try slow down a bit and aim for Net Zero 2050, while investing heavily in carbon storing facilities and air conditioning

Well, yes, but it looks to me much less like fud ( fear, uncertainty and doubt ) and more like widely differing estimates of energy consumption ( not necessarily bad of course ) and environmental impact ( which needs to have decent comparisons ). Thats why I try to include data source links.

But just found this - How Much Energy Does Bitcoin Actually Consume? - looks to be more balanced. Contains references to other sources of info …

It references a bitcoin energy consumption index https://cbeci.org/ .

Anyways, although interesting, off topic I suppose.

Shiba Inu, but no Doge! Shocking!

Helium (HNT) and Polygon (MATIC) have been my best performers of the last 6 months.

Helium should be of interest even to those not into crypto - it’s a decentralised global wireless network (now LoRaWan, next 5G) owned/mined by the people. See What's Helium? Glad You Asked. - YouTube for simple explanation :slight_smile: