Split Transactions in Emma Pro

Hi there. I’m using the split function to breakdown my Co-op credit card payment, since this credit card isn’t supported yet. It’s a bit manual but at least it’s a workaround to categorise this spending.

2 Likes

What about just allowing to edit a split?

The use case is for cash ATM withdraw transactions where it would be nice to edit a split as more of the cash is spent in order to have to accounted for under the correct categories.

My current workaround is to keep a note on the transaction with the amounts for each split and then split the transaction once all the cash is spent.

1 Like

I don’t think this is necessary. It’s easier to create a manual Cash account (add the cash withdrawal as an “income” transaction) and then create manual transactions as you spend.

Much simpler than splitting the cash withdrawal. It also helps you keep track of how much cash you have.

Once Smart Rules are working, Emma may even be able to link your cash withdrawals as topups to your manual Cash account automatically, so all you’d have to do is add your cash transactions to the manual account.

1 Like

Thanks @Gaoler. Let me try that out. I’m mostly using cash only for two things and thus it was pretty easy to split those (larger) withdrawals into 1-3 transactions to allocate the spending to the correct categories.

I use this feature a lot but it still needs the ability to edit splits!

What do you mean? :slight_smile:

Let’s say I’ve split a transaction of £10 into £2, £2, and £6. It would be nice if I could go back and edit the splits to add/remove or change the splits. So if I had made a mistake in the initial split where it should have been £3, not £2, I don’t have to unsplit and start over.

1 Like

The simple way to do this would be to tap Original Transaction to take you back to the manual transaction split screen

If you find it :sweat_smile:

It doesn’t do that, I’ve tried

You’re correct - I was suggesting that maybe this is what Emma should do.

1 Like

I agree with this. It would be incredibly helpful to allow us to edit a split. For example, I share an account with my partner and a lump sum is transferred each month. As that money is spent, it would be helpful to be able to edit that.

An app I used previously (22 Seven) does the split really well. We are able to input the number spent (instead of the app splitting it automatically for us, which can be tedious having to go back and retype the accurate numbers each time). It also allows us to edit freely.

Please consider this change :pray:t3:

Hey @Rene

Welcome to the Emma Community :blush:

You can currently input the value of each split in Emma, but we haven’t yet added the ability to edit.

This isn’t something we have on our roadmap, but I’ll let you know if the team starts working on it!