Have you thought about house flipping?

House flipping is the process of buying a house and then selling it for a profit.

Recent research shows that the number of people flipping houses has fallen.

Have you ever considered doing something like this? Or are you hoping to give this a go in the future?

I think it is feeding the problem with the housing market. Taking affordable housing, sprucing it up so it gets a higher mark-up, and then sell it only to those who can afford it.

I am all for people taking run down places and making them better and liveable, but you don’t need to take a one flat with a leaking roof and make it two bedrooms with an en suite and balcony. You need to fix the leak, repaint, replace the bathroom and kitchen.

I’m also all for those who house flip for a living but perhaps there needs to be similar rules that major house builders are restricted by, in that a percentage of property should be affordable.

1 Like

Yeah that’s an interesting point…

I wonder how nice the majority of flippers actually make it though.

I assume most flippers buy the run-down places and spend the bare minimum to make it nice, so they can make the biggest profit? :woman_shrugging:t2:

All while most young people are struggling more and more each year to get onto the market.

1 Like

I also have ethical reservations about this. If you’re going to invest, at least invest it in something that is helping someone else. Flipping houses for the intention of making as much money as possible, pushing up prices when so many people are struggling is hard to defend

2 Likes

I guess the issue is much bigger than people house flipping

I came across this research the other day and thought it was pretty interesting. It says the average time it takes for someone to save a house deposit on their own is 8 years and 4 months - or if you’re in London over 15 years…

1 Like