Edit "Transaction Name" (vendor/merchant name) should be free

One thing that will increase the value of the Emma platform is improvements in transaction data and categorisation. You clearly recognise this and you are incentivising data improvements by giving “gummy bears” for updating transaction categories and allowing users to add twitter handles for the merchants.

Why then is editing the merchant/vendor (field name - “transaction name”) a pay feature? One of my biggest grievances with the app is the inaccuracy of the merchant names. I bought groceries in Mrs Bumbles Delicatessen Burford and Emma changed the merchant name to “Bumble” the dating app (complete with the dating app logo!) – imagine what my partner would think to see that mislabeled transaction!

If you allowed “transaction name” to be a free editable field, you would be able to collect, analyse, and much more quickly improve upon your vendor/merchant naming.

Hey @alliep,

thanks for your feedback. :slight_smile:

I think we could discuss about this for hours, but the short answer is that we thought it’s a sweet feature for Emma Pro.

It makes the product slightly better for people who are very keen, so that’s why we have decided to place it in Emma Pro.

That’s your call… I just think it means it will take a lot longer to train your algorthim to assign proper merchant names. Incorrect categorisation (even if I have pro and can change it manually) is super annoying and is probably the main reason that I would choose to leave this product and move on to a competitor. I still use Mint for my US transactions and their merchant naming and categorisation is far superior. If/when Mint becomes available in the UK, I will probably leave Emma to use Mint for this very reason.

Can you share some examples? :slight_smile:

If you want, you can even send us some examples in the live chat. @Joel can help with this.

There are many examples, but the worst has been the one I provided in my original post: I bought groceries in Mrs Bumbles Delicatessen Burford and Emma changed the merchant name to “Bumble” the dating app (complete with the dating app logo!) – imagine what my partner would think to see that mislabeled transaction!

You are right, there is a mistake with Bumble - I have just fixed it. :slight_smile:

If you have any big labelling issues, like this one, you can ping support with a list, so we can resolve them all. :rocket:

I would say that 40% of my transactions are wrong. It would be quite labor intensive for me to post every time I have an issue.

Okay, thanks for letting me know.

If you reach out to live chat, we can help. :slight_smile: