Best way to track student loans?

lol oh god imagine!

Tbh my student loan is not as bad as it could be considering how much uni costs now but its more how much interest you pay! It’s ridiculous

You paid less than 6k a year? My 9k a year is including maintenance, although I’m probably going to have to take a larger maintenance next year. Can we swap debts?

so my uni fee was 3.5K and I then had London maintenance on top of that, but I called up SLC and apparently in the last 5 years I have paid 1.5K of that loan back and 3.5K in interest :expressionless:

To be honest I don’t know why interest for student loan isn’t directly linked to BoE inflation targets

You know, I wonder if it’d be possible to pay your loan back faster by using cashback cards for all your spending? Especially in London where a single Freddo legally requires a visit to your local HSBC to see if you’re eligible for a mortgage

I don’t think they really educate people enough about student loans and the impact of paying back a loan like that. It’s not a ‘real’ debt but it still has a massive impact on your salary when you start earning. Once you have paid tax, pension and student loan you’ve lost a large chunk of your salary. Some people go to uni because they think its the next step but its deffo not for everyone and people should get more support before they take out 30-50K in debt.

Sorry rant over haha

Can I skip the pension? I would personally rather take that money and put it into something worth while.

All the UK does is wait until loads are about to be added to the pension pot and then they raise the age for claiming :slight_smile:

Edit; I legit missed half of that post!

This is me. Pro-tip for anyone reading: look after your mental health. Take a gap year after college if you’re adamant on university eventually. Don’t go in while you’re still dealing with it.

Yeah, it’s dumb. My friends are getting paid £20k a year to get a degree from Nationwide and I’m going to leave with 27K debt minimum - for a bachelors. They’re getting paid £100k for that though :thinking:

It’s true haha, you can definitely skip it. I have different pension pots in different places but I am thinking of trying pension bee because they put them all in one place.

A lot of my friends have their own private pension they pay into as I know some people get worries they will not be able to access it.

I have so many friends who went to uni and just didn’t need to or it just wasn’t for them and then dropped out. If people are not sure I would definitely recommend taking a break and thinking about it rather than rushing into it. I personally got a lot out of uni but my course was tough and I watched people mentally struggle through which was not nice.

Yeah some people are great and they pay you to study with them. That is a much better approach and motivates people to do something they not only enjoy but benefit from financially.

The NHS does this a lot, they pay people to study but I think that they find is so difficult to get people to come and work for them based on the salary.

I don’t actually understand PensionBee :thinking:

What happens when I move to my next employer, will I still be with PensionBee and them alone or PensionBee and

Would be nice to net myself that Emma Wallet £25 and then be able to link it to Starling though - downside is I don’t want to pay into any schemes like pensions when I don’t plan on being here to retire.

As such I’m trying to invest in dividend paying stocks - I reckon if I do that for the next 30-40 years it should pay me enough.

So I have a pension with 2 companies from previous jobs. But the problem is if you start moving them around its a long process of manually filling out forms.

As far as I am aware pension bee takes all of your pensions and puts them in one place and they then charge you a fee. I’m guessing if you move to another job you can then connect that pension. Don’t quote me on that exactly though I still need to research it some more.

1 Like

Meanwhile every time workplace pensions called my work I got told to hang up :joy::joy:

haha! what?! :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

At the time boss was rather dodgy. Didn’t want card payments etc etc (still took them)

HMRC bust in 70k fine and turns out he’d put it in the name of a friend - who then spent over a grand proving his innocence.

Ran around the country until HMRC made him bankrupt because they didn’t know where to serve papers

P.S. Help me decide breakfast whoever reads this - I think it’s a bit late to sleep!

1 Like

wowwww who did you work for?!

Where are you based? This helps the breakfast decision

Small takeout in Swindon :joy:

Also, “who did you work for”? Who do* :wink:

Swindon

haha Ah okay! Never been to swindon so I’m just gonna stay stick to a trusty bacon sandwich.

This conversation has gone massively off topic!

STUDENT LOANS

I’m going to pray you mean Turkey bacon! :tr:

But yes, very off-topic! STUDENT LOANS ARE FUN

Do they accept credit cards? I wonder if you could jimmy-rig it by getting a rewards card hooked up - paying your student loan off on that and then using the points to take a nice holiday :joy:

I’m sure they take any form of payment to be honest

I went to check and I’m sad again

don’t keep looking at it haha

I closed it very quickly I assure you :joy:

1 Like