Big wedding vs first home - what would you pick?

According to new research by Halifax, 18-44-year olds are skipping big weddings in favour of buying their first home.

Of those interviewed, only 29% of people said a wedding was money well spent, compared to 63% who said owning their own home was worth the money :moneybag:

With the average wedding costing Ā£18,000 and the average house deposit at Ā£50,000, many people canā€™t afford to do both.

Would you choose a first home over a big wedding?

• First Home
  • Big Wedding

0 voters

Thereā€™s a show on Netflix when a couple have to choose between a wedding or a house. To me, itā€™s a no brainer but then I donā€™t have a romantic bone in my body.

Just googled and Iā€™m guessing this is the show youā€™re talking about? Looks like the rubbish kind of TV I enjoy watching haha :laughing:

I think the thing about weddings is that everything seems to be unnecessarily expensiveā€¦? i.e it costs three times as much to hire a space for a wedding, than it would for any other type of event

Yes, thatā€™s the show.

No idea why weddings cost so much. Not going to be having one, unless someone else is going to be paying for it. :joy:

Iā€™d do both. Never settle.

Thereā€™s always a way to make a quid or two :slight_smile: could probably do 100-200 a month from surveys alone and pair that with a side job & some crypto loans (8-10% APR). Itā€™d take a while but youā€™d do both within some years, if you really wanted to shoulder the burden

But who could let their prospective Mrs down if they wanted a wedding? I couldnā€™t bare the thought of moving into that commitment with her already disappointed about something :grimacing:

Yeah, isnā€™t it tradition for the brideā€™s family to pay for most of the wedding? Not sure how often that actually happens thoughā€¦? :sweat_smile:

I think that itā€™s a tradition thatā€™s slowly dying out. Itā€™s seems that the bride and groom pay for most, if not all, and the parents, if any, chip in what they can.

Iā€™ve always wanted a big wedding but am over it now. We are planning no more than 50 of us having a nice meal after the registry office.

Our financial worlds are very different and it would be unfair to have such a big cost for him for the sake of a few hours.

Plus then thereā€™s the cost of kids and they are hella expensive :man_shrugging:

I wouldnā€™t pick either. :joy:

Just had a quick look into reports about the cost of raising a child and CPAG is showing the figures below. Over Ā£8k a year for a couple, over Ā£10k if youā€™re a single parent. (Based on paying for food, clothing, heating bills, birthday presents, and a weekā€™s selfā€catering holiday in the UK once a year) :point_down:

The latest report in our annual Cost of a Child series finds that the overall cost of a child up to age 18 (including rent and childcare) is Ā£185,000 for lone parents (up 19% since 2012) and Ā£151,000 for couples (up 5.5% since 2012).

1 Like

Yeah, plus as we will be having a child by surrogate, another Ā£45,000 up front! :sob:

I need a second job!

Wow is that how much it costs?!

Itā€™s a lot of money, but itā€™ll be 100% worth it :raised_hands:

There are variables to the cost but Iā€™m just hoping for twins so we can save money up front. :joy:

2 Likes

Hahah love that - 2 for 1 :sweat_smile:

2 Likes