7 Tips to help you beat your food budget

Hey Everyone,

Hope you are having a good week so far :muscle:

We just posted a quick article about saving money when shopping for food and it would be great if you could check it out and let us know what you think and what tips you would like to see on our blog.

https://emma-app.com/blog/2019/07/02/7-tips-help-stay-within-food-budget/

Please share if you have any other tips and tricks for food shopping :point_down:

Thanks

Lilli

2 Likes

Hi there
Here are mine:
1 Never go food shopping when hungry!!
2 Always try something new- it broadens your food experience!!
3 Limit your shopping to what you need!!
4 No treats - unless you deserve them!!
5 Plan what you are going to cook before shopping!!
6 Make one day a healthy day - no junking out at least once a week!!
7 Little and often = just 'buy as you need ā€™ cheaper and better than ā€˜buy as you goā€™ !!
8 Make one day a week low calorie !! = stay one day hungry a week reduces the risk of diabetes, improves the complexion and saves money!!
9 Get off sugar = sugary sweets and treats are expensive in more than one way.
10 Be guided with your food shopping by your weight!!

1 Like

Love these tips @Hans

This one is very true :

1 Like

Oh I forgot = mum was always a fashionista and she says
1 ā€œthere is no such thing as a bargainā€. And also 2 Internet food shopping saves getting bargains and so saves money. The whole of your essay could be done in pictures and not words. That would be fun!!

1 Like

I started online food shopping but I always found it more stressful than just going to the shop and buying the food. I also found that they usually donā€™t have what you want and replace it with something else so I would ask for basil and they would give me rosemary which Iā€™d rather just not have!

Also I when I shop at lidl or somewhere like that I like to check the sell by date when you buy online they just give you anything even though they say it has to be 2 days before the sell by. But Iā€™m not going to eat a weekly shop in two days!

1 Like

Hi Lilli I miss quoted my mum. She looked into her wardrobe full of never worn clothes as sighed ā€œthere is no such thing as a bargainā€ shopping is such a lovely social thing to do together. It is lovely. The problem is that what we eat forms who we are later on. I know a doctor who used chocolate to control his stress. He got a shock when he suddenly became diabetic. He told me he cried on the news. So this is an important topic. Hey it could all be done in pictures!

Hey Hans,

Ah I see! yes itā€™s definitely important to be healthy :slight_smile:

Chocolare definitely does not control stress! I love the idea of everything in pictures but I think people might struggle to understand what the tips are! We definitely want all of our content to be as visual and fun as possible. :grin:

1 Like

A picture of some one with a small shopping bag with the Emma app on her phone smiling. And a pic of Someone with a big bad with her Emma frowning. Ha!! I think the food I like to buy is biscuits but I shouldnā€™t!!

Haha that is a nice idea maybe we will do something like this in the future!

My best suggestion for saving money is go avoid the big chains and head to the small local food stores. For example in my area food is usually cheaper at the Arabic market store. On a plus side, youā€™d support a small indipendent business owner rather than a large corporation.

2 Likes

Supermarkets are supppperrrrr expensive in the US arenā€™t they? My friend just moved to NY and bought like 6 things and it cost like $30 :sob:

1 Like

Yes and no, I guess. It really depends on where you go, what you buy and what you compare it too. Compared to Norway I donā€™t think itā€™s that expensive. Most items are cheaper by a lot, but local food markets and stores are even cheaper than that. I donā€™t know what groceries costs in the UK, so I canā€™t compare it to that.

1 Like

Arenā€™t countries like Norway and Denmark really expensive but the standard salary is much higher there? Thatā€™s what I have heard

2 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty much true. Food in the US is cheaper than in Norway, but might be more expensive in the US.

1 Like

Have you been to the UK before?

1 Like

Iā€™ve, but itā€™s been a while since Iā€™ve been to the UK and went to a grocery store. My experience is that eating out in London is about the same as in Norway. Maybe a tad cheaper, but not much.

1 Like

haha no I was just wondering I wasnā€™t referring to the supermarket convo was just going off topic! :grimacing:Yeah London isnā€™t that cheap tbf

1 Like

I donā€™t think youā€™d be better off going to a small local retailer here @BendikHa. Probably much better off going to a discounter like Lidl or Aldi and pairing that with a cashback card or some that gives you some other benefit.

For Lidl I think the best pairing would probably be promotional Amex intro 5% cashback on the daily cashback card. (Assuming you can get one of these)

Either that or a 0.5% cashback card with a curve introductory 1% cashback added on top.

Thing is in the UK everywhere is expensive and thatā€™s why these German discounters are becoming powerhouses

But yeah I guess for my tip: abuse a mix of credit cards, discounts and promotions.

Another tip: eat less. Go to Japan and look at their portions, they have the most people over 100 and that seems to be partially linked to their self imposed calorie control of around 1800-1900 a day in Okinawa.

That means you can get away with buying 600-700 calories less a day :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Lidl is the one!

1 Like

They are very good with discounts.

Praying German discounters take over :joy: we need ASDA and Tesco to follow suit!

2 Likes